Dual quads 318 poly feaseable?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I have a stock 66 Fury with 318 2 barrel with 100k miles. I was thinking it would be fun to buy a stock dual quad setup for it.

Is the secondary carb have to be a special one only for the 2 carb set up? What carbs would I use?

Is linkage going to be a bear or can I rig something up without changing the stock cable?

Does anyone here have the parts i might need?

Thx!!:thumbsup:

You can drop any fantasies you have about putting dual quads on that right now.
Please, don't make me explain why.

It can be done, but I think you'll end up over fueling the poly.
Here is a pic of a poly (not sure on ci) in a 59 Fury, the guy had paid mega $$$$$$ for this intake due to the fact that they are pretty rare, he had edlebrocks on it but I didn't ask what size they are as I was stunned mute by the absolute beauty and attention to detail on his car

IMG_5183.jpg

I've seen dual quad poly intakes at swap meets averaging 200 bucks. The carbs that fit the dual quad intake are the old pot metal WCFB's. As far as I know the two carbs are the same front and rear. I don't know of other carbs that fit those intakes, although there may be others. Spread bore carbs will not fit. Adapters for Holleys or AFB's could probably be milled by a competant machinist but price could be an issue. The linkage could be fabricated if you have trouble finding an original. Here http://www.moparmecca.com/is a link to poly performance parts. Her is an interesting article from Mopar Muscle magazine on a 402 poly stroker.http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/..._give_a_318_poly_engine_more_power/index.html

Thx 7!

Just wondering why they were made for a 318 if they were going to over fuel it?
icon11.gif

I imagine going with one 4 barrel would be the proper thing to do but I sure like that dual quad look!

Hey. We tried lots of things over the years. Some of them were pretty wild.
But other than for period correctness or attempting to look cool (erroneously),
nobody should be doing this anymore either....

1963%20Chrysler%20300J%20413%20Long%20Ram%20Dual%204-Barrel%20375HP%20Engine%20Pictured%20with%20Bob%20Rogers%20BW.jpg

icon11.gif

I imagine going with one 4 barrel would be the proper thing to do but I sure like that dual quad look!

I think you would need to have a bit of engine work done to a 318 ie heads opened up, cam, headers, etc too allow that much fuel to get through without bogging down, or maybe 2 small cfm carbs? You can over fuel a stock engine with just one big quad, so by my reckoning two would be more likely to give ya grief.

I know even single quad manifolds are quite hard to find for poly's (here in New Zealand anyway) A friend of mine has one on his 66 Fury 111 and he got offered a complete rebuilt 318 LA motor swap just for his manifold.

The pic I posted is the first time I have ever seen it done on a poly, I dont know the specs or exactly how it was done, there may be ways of jetting down the carbs etc, but anything is possible, with the right $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

IMHO, mods would be a single 4 BBL and conversion to electronic ignition and spend the rest on comfort items, i.e., A/C and appearance upgrades or repairs (seats & paint).

2X4 poly manifold

The factory iron 2X4 setups used WCFB Carter carbs and were over the counter options for the 1956 277 Poly engines in the new Fury. Then in 1957 & 1958 it was made standard on the Poly 318 Fury. In 1958 the first "B" engine appeared as the Golden Commando 350 CID which also featured 2 four bbl's, (Carter AFB's).

The 277 and Fury 318's had higher compression, different camshafts and dual exhaust as part of the package.

These manifolds can be located with a little effort.... but the single 4 BBL manifolds are very diffacult to find and more valuable

There are also some aftermarket aluminum 3X2 bbl setups for 277 & 318 poly's floating around out there, (Edelbrock, I think, with stromberg carbs).

From what I can gather is that they could over fuel a stock 2bbl engine, but if you want to spend some money on making a stock poly breath more then one can definitely make the set up work with the correct cfm and jetted carbs. I have seen the set up on poly in a 58 Plymouth (Christine clone, stunning car too) But I didnt get a chance to ask the owner how he went about getting it all set up right.

Anything is possible with the right amount of $$$

I actually have One of the 318 poly factory set ups. Cast iron intake and the 2 carbs. It's sitting in my garage. I was going to do something with it but never did. I know they are pretty rare.

I actually have One of the 318 poly factory set ups. Cast iron intake and the 2 carbs. It's sitting in my garage. I was going to do something with it but never did. I know they are pretty rare.
They certainly are. Are you looking to sell?

I ran a 318 Poly for a few years. The 57 Furys came with them and they were optional on everything else. The WCFB were small 4 barrels and the engine was not over carbureted. You would want to at least run dual exhaust with that set up. I had an Isky cam and kit, Hedman headers
and a Mallory dist. The block was .060 over with Jahns pistons and the whole assembly ran great. I don't think you would be disappointed with the dual 4 barrels.

Thx 7!

icon11.gif

If you are going to do it use small carbs like the 390 cfm. If I remember, the 2x4 Poly intake is a dual plane so you can't use progressive linkage. You will have to run off of 4 barrels or 8 when you kick the pedal down. Even with small carbs, that's unnecessary on a stock Poly.

If you are going to do it use small carbs like the 390 cfm. If I remember, the 2x4 Poly intake is a dual plane so you can't use progressive linkage. You will have to run off of 4 barrels or 8 when you kick the pedal down. Even with small carbs, that's unnecessary on a stock Poly.
FYI, I posted this in 2011! I've since shed the 66 for a 57 Belvedere and 68 GTO although still great information.

Back