Dupont Centari ?

garyh

Reaction score
I am in the beginning phase of getting my '66 Imperial repainted .I want Acryllic Enamel and I like Dupont Centari . Since my local CARQUEST closed I am having trouble finding a store that sells it. Anyone have thoughts on where to get it ? Thoughts on Nason enamel ? I don't want clear coat or urethane. Thanks

I am in the beginning phase of getting my '66 Imperial repainted .I want Acryllic Enamel and I like Dupont Centari . Since my local CARQUEST closed I am having trouble finding a store that sells it. Anyone have thoughts on where to get it ? Thoughts on Nason enamel ? I don't want clear coat or urethane. Thanks
I like DuPont Centari too. DuPont should have a list of dealers in your area.

If you go with enamel make sure you use hardener in it.
Dupont makes good ****.

Don't take this the wrong way, but just because the car is a 66' doesn't mean you have use paint from 66'.
There are a lot of great new paints out there and the new clear coats aren't your grandpa's clear coats.
They've come a long way with paints.
I've had 4 cars painted in the 7 years with the modern paints and they look fantastic.. I think that anyone who has seen my 78' NYB at Carlisle, would agree how nice the paint looks. That was the new water-born paint system. Don't ask me how it works but it turned out great. I've also posted pics of my orange 89' Lotus, and that turned out awesome.
Give them a look... talk to as many painters as you can before going to the "Wayback Machine". You may be surprised.

Just because it's new and different it doesn't have to be feared and rejected

228FACC1-505F-4320-81EB-3AE57833FCDF.jpeg
4CC36775-34A3-4198-B7AD-410B296EE283.jpeg
In 1999 I painted my old drag car in Centari white. No clear coat. Only two coats of base. It was so brite that for years when in direct sun light you couldn’t look directly at it without wearing sun glasses.

If you're going to use single stage old school acrylic enamel I hope it's not going to be a metallic color.

Don't take this the wrong way, but just because the car is a 66' doesn't mean you have use paint from 66'.
There are a lot of great new paints out there and the new clear coats aren't your grandpa's clear coats.
They've come a long way with paints.
I've had 4 cars painted in the 7 years with the modern paints and they look fantastic.. I think that anyone who has seen my 78' NYB at Carlisle, would agree how nice the paint looks. That was the new water-born paint system. Don't ask me how it works but it turned out great. I've also posted pics of my orange 89' Lotus, and that turned out awesome.
Give them a look... talk to as many painters as you can before going to the "Wayback Machine". You may be surprised.

Just because it's new and different it doesn't have to be feared and rejected
I've seen his cars up close and personal and they look great.

Well . . . I fully understand the desire to use a single-stage acrylic enamel rather than the newer BC/CC system. It's about "the shine"! That hard shine which only the OEM-style acrylic enamel can produce AND what the DuPont Centari paint was all about. Hardener, when it came out later, made it better, by observation.

As for changing paint systems, that used to happen ever so many years. Nothing "static" about that market! Always something new and exciting, it seems, plus gov't regulations on VOC and such.

From what I found tonight, DuPont automotive refinishing paints are now branded "Axalta"? I was in a body shop a few years ago. The owner was an older guy and I asked him about what he was using. He replied that for the older cars, he'd use acrylic enamel rather than the newer BC/CC paints. "They look better to me", he said. I mentioned the old Centari paint and he said that the paint he was using (possibly Axalta, as I hadn't heard of that brand) reminded him a lot of the old Centari.

One place to shop for factory colors is the www.autocolorlibrary.com website, which is aligned with the www.TCPGlobal.com website. This should be a page with different eras of paint, by model year. Follow the drop down menus and you'll eventually get a page with prices and suggested products. From there, contact your local suppliers and see if they can supply what you need.

The issue with the older paints is the tint stocks and such not being available, OR the cross-over into the newer paint systems to yield the desired "Old" color. Each paint system seems to have its own unique tints and bases, which seem to not be direct crosses to the older systems.

ONE nod to using the newer BC/CC system is that that's what most painters are used to using . . . unless you can find somebody that knows how and has the equipment to shoot the single-stage acrylic enamel paints. The whole reason for using BC/CC paints, initially, was to use less actual color on the car, then use the CC upper coats for protection of the color coat Whereas the single-stage system is all color.

Some might differ, but I like to see the acrylic enamel paints where they were originally used. Things just "look right" to me. Others, used to looking at the newer BC/CC systems, use that as their "standard". To each their own.

CBODY67

C2E58BE4-47DE-4943-8032-A0889EB1465A.jpeg
F7DEA1B7-479A-48A4-995A-D378F0ED8E3F.jpeg
1B3DFC78-0781-4E30-A233-2E8925AEAFCA.jpeg
E25F2B14-543E-49E8-B332-2CD7549E1D75.jpeg
8DAAA0E8-1C8D-4576-8974-C1C2679613B2.jpeg
7FBE317E-DA0E-4B60-9917-6DCE48B6E12C.jpeg
ACCA10F7-CD75-4A2C-84D5-B955C62BDF4C.jpeg
Just for kicks I thought I’d try that Dupli-Color pre mix stuff they sell at the parts stores since I do a lot of race cars. I tried it on this Belvedere. It needs to be wet sanded & cleared. I also shot a spot right over the old paint on the fender. Shines pretty good. This is likely what I will paint FURYIOUS with. $300 for everything

Some might differ, but I like to see the acrylic enamel paints where they were originally used. Things just "look right" to me. Others, used to looking at the newer BC/CC systems, use that as their "standard". To each their own.

CBODY67

I have used PPG SS acrylic urethanes on my cars. Urethane newer while still single stage in order to give me the correct look. BC/CC would work but it looks wrong. There is a color depth issue/difference between BC/CC and Single Stage. Hard to explain but I can see the difference immediately upon viewing the car in question. Best I can say is that SS looks creamier/richer.

Back