Dust boot only needed for pitman arm

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ruined the new boot on my rebuilt pitman arm on my 1966 300, does anyone know where I can buy just the dust boot? I don't trust Steer and Gear to send me the correct one, since they actually mounted a b-body pitman arm initially on my rebuilt steering box.

I have only found the complete pitman arm.

I ruined the new boot on my rebuilt pitman arm on my 1966 300, does anyone know where I can buy just the dust boot? I don't trust Steer and Gear to send me the correct one, since they actually mounted a b-body pitman arm initially on my rebuilt steering box.

I have only found the complete pitman arm.

Try www.suspension.com they stock a fairly large assortment of universal boots. you will need to accurately measure the shaft size prior to ordering. They probably will not have the exact stock boot, but might have one that will work.

Dave

The incompetence of people who claim to know what they’re doing. Welcome to the new America.

I did realize it had the wrong pitman arm until the steering box on the car.

I will say when I called them they said bring it in, but they are 9-5 weekdays only. They asked me to hold and then the owner came on apologized, said if I wanted to come in Saturday he would meet me there and he would install the correct one while I waited. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

I did realize it had the wrong pitman arm until the steering box on the car.

I will say when I called them they said bring it in, but they are 9-5 weekdays only. They asked me to hold and then the owner came on apologized, said if I wanted to come in Saturday he would meet me there and he would install the correct one while I waited. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.
The other side of the coin. Maybe there’s hope for us yet!

Try www.suspension.com they stock a fairly large assortment of universal boots. you will need to accurately measure the shaft size prior to ordering. They probably will not have the exact stock boot, but might have one that will work.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I think you have the right plan, I need to get measurements to make sure I get a compatible boot.

Mine is actually like a dense thick foam doughnut...

You might be able make one out of the black foam stock. They use the same stuff to seal pickup canopies and the doors on toy haulers, it should work as long as it is the hi-density foam.

Dave

The Dorman boots I used disintegrated after a year. I don’t know if it was the grease I used, but they basically split and fell off.

Don’t know if this is the same fit, but maybe you can harvest the boot off of this one for $8 bucks.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/trw,18831,pitman+arm,7368

Maybe it wasn't totally my fault if yours failed that quick. I was using a battery operated grease gun and it bulged the boot a bit and then it just fell apart within a year.
Thanks for the tip.

Back