Dyed and paint seatbelts

Rick T

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know where I can send seatbelts to be painted and dyed Mine were missing. I found some online but the wrong color.

Last edited:
The problem with dyeing the belts is the color won't really bind to the material and will come off on your clothes.

Not great for impressing the ladies...

Does anyone have seatbelts in gray?
435F0EF9-F754-43B7-94EC-6BA14DBC2DBF.jpeg
This is the part I need anyone have gray.

Last edited:
I thought I'd learned many years ago that doing anything too a seatbelt would violate something, NTSB? Guberment? SAE?
Pretty much you shouldn't mess with them, just replace with OEM factory new, anything else is a ambulance chaser's dream come true.
Latest I read about is these self tightening belts, SRS supplemental restraint systems, the kind that has a cartridge that explodes. Not recommended to swap used ones from a salvage car per OEM, computer will tell, need to hack/reset(?) computer too remove warning light/error code. Some will explode and cause sparks causing a interior fire (Ford recall?)

How much do you value your life and your loved ones? I'd search for a certified seatbelt restoration shop...
Kind of like buying a cheap used motorcycle helmet.

It seems to me that the belts were likely dyed at the factory where the material was fabricated.
That being said you are supposed to use a acid dye to adhere the color to the nylon webbing/fabric.
Ritz recommends using their standard dye with Vinegar which has a very mild acidity to it, for nylon.
It won't eat the fabric, just improve the bonding. Dye used without the vinegar doesn't bond as well and may stain other fabrics when the belt is used.
I wouldn't try painting them, the solvents may harden or attack the nylon fibers. Not sure I'd try vinyl dye either without knowing it's properties.

I attempted to dye a set of belts that had faded from black to blue. I used Ritz dye and vinegar, darkened them, not quite black. I wouldn't even bother with a color change, send off to have rebuilt.
2017-08-13_006.jpg

Alan

Mopar Body manual clearly does not recommend dying seatbelts as they will color your clothes.
Was trying to attach it the whole evening :)

51485355708_1f657b830f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi does anyone know where I can send seatbelts to be painted and dyed Mine were missing. I found some online but the wrong color.

I used this company to rebuild and color change mine with excellent results. However that's not going to solve the issue of the molded plastic parts. For that part you'll need used; paint will never stick. The good news is that the used plastic parts mean nothing with regard to safety.

$64.99 Seat Belt Repair Services - Order Online! - Safety Restore

I bought new belts through The Andover Company and love them! I found the company on EBAYand they were very easy to work with and very helpful. There are also a couple of companies who rebuild the guts of the retractors with a 24 hour turnaround.

Back