dyeing seat fabric?

policefury1

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever re-dyed original seat fabric (1970)? SMS could'nt come up with the right color for my police car, and I may have to re-dye the nos front fabric to match the original and untouched rear seats. Sounds crazy I know.
thanks for any help
mk

Pictures of what you are trying to work with?

Mt '59 Imperial cloth area of the seats was purchased from SMS years ago. The desired color was blue and not the green they produced. I used RIT brand dye. read and follow directions. Here is the picture of my seats.
100_0424 (1).JPG

Also, what color and style of cloth does your squad have. I did get my cloth from SMS years ago. Here is a picture of my '70 Fury III ex-Washington State Patrol car.

100_0409.JPG

I think your chances of success also depend on the material itself. Some materials just won't absorb the dye because they aren't porous. You may need to experiment with small samples first.

RIT is certainly cheap enough to buy a couple boxes to try it out.

Jeff

Also, what color and style of cloth does your squad have. I did get my cloth from SMS years ago. Here is a picture of my '70 Fury III ex-Washington State Patrol car.

View attachment 395525
Hey thanks for writing back! My car is a 1970 ny state police car with the , I have to admit weird and kinda ugly pattern and color. Its supposed to be a dark 'chocolate' brown. I went back and forth with sms and ended up with the right pattern and a greenish color instead of the dark brown. I sent alot of pictures and mopar upholstry charts, but no dice. I just dont want to ruin the expensive and NOS fabric I got.
thanks
mk

You can always go darker when you choose the dye, you cannot go lighter. You will do fine.
Thanks again. I forgot one good question. Are these period NOS fabrics cotton or natural fibers, or rayon or mixes? According to Rit this will determine whether to use salt or vinegar in the mix.
mk

Back