E-Bay aluminum water pump/housing

Newport 66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has bought one of the big block alum.water pumps and housings off ebay and your experiences with these. There are a number of vendors selling them.
Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone has bought one of the big block alum.water pumps and housings off ebay and your experiences with these. There are a number of vendors selling them.
Thanks!

I would not recommend using the aluminum water pumps as all of the ones I have run across so far are Chinese castings the quality of which varies widely. If the water pump casting were to break, you are looking at a new fan shroud ($250) and probably a new radiator to boot ($450). Not worth the risk. The water pump housings are also made in China with the same quality control issues. Assuming you get a good one, you can save some weight by going this route, but that is something of an oxymoron on a C-body.

Dave

I remember reading a thread about a aftermarket water pump housing causing overheating problems, poor manufacturing and attention to details, the passages were the wrong size and lots of casting flash. If I remember correctly.

Are those being sold a "P-_______" part number from Mopar Perf? Or otherwise? Just curious. If like GM aluminum engine part castings used to be (intake manifolds were the only thing, bac when), there should be some little symbol for the plant which did the casting. PLUS a part number and date code somewhere on the casting, too? Just curious if there are any identifying things which can be looked for to ensure we get the best one AND the Mopar one (if that matters).

CBODY67

I bought one this past spring and it has worked flawlessly. Paid $40 plus another $16 shipping. Still haven't found a better deal out there. Highly recommend it.

Back