E-brake, change from drum on trans to rear axel

Glider

Reaction score
My -56 N.Y. had got newer engine & trans before I bought it so I changed to newer rear axel for the need of e brake, but now I don't know how to continue...
The cables from the axel & the cable from the pedal; how do I do it? Does anyone have or could provide pictures of how I can make it work? Brackets & such.
Purdy please...

A19.jpg

FIRST, you need to determine the origin of the rear axle now in the car. After that is known, then decipher the parking brake cable routing and such that the donor vehicle had.

THEN, you can seek to interface your existing parking brake actuator cable (via a "dog knot", or similar) with something similar to what the donor axle had attached to it in the donor vehicle. It can be rather straight forward and easy to do, by observation, IF you know how it needs to look.

Go to www.mymopar.com and download a 1966 and later Chrysler factory service manual. There should be some graphics in there of a typical parking brake routing system.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Note that you are dealing with an transmission brake band car so there will need to be some creativity with the cable routing. All of that cable stuff will need to be custom fabricated as there is not likely to be an application that would just bolt in. As C-Body67 suggested, crawl under a rear parking brake car and see where things are going to need to be routed. You can use the actuator cable from the band brake to pull the rear brake cables once the proper mounting brackets hve been fabricated. The exhaust routing forward of the rear wheels might have to be converted to a rear dump to get enough space to route the E-Brake cables.

Dave

IF the new rear axle has cables which enter the rear brake assys from the front, just use the routing from a 2nd Gen (say, 1977) Camaro/Firebird for reference. You can use the existing "front cable" (which used to go to the brake on the rear of the transmission) to pull (from the center of the car) a u-shaped cable situation which attaches to the new rear brake assys.. On the Camaros, the rear cable just "is there", rubbing directly against any exhaust pipes with little incidence (except over years of use, the cable will wear in two and need replacing). A simple and very simplistic way of doing things, by observation. No doubt, many GM-spec cable parts can be used to do this on your Chrysler. BUT using rear cables which match the application for your current rear axle.

Nothing extravagant or involved, just cables going from Point A to Points B and C with no drama.

DO make sure the parking brake mechanisms in your current rear axle DO work and will release! IF they need some work, get that done, too!

IF no real knowledge of the rear axle under the car, pictures might help with the identification.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

All I asked for was how to connect the front original cable with the two rear cables, I do understand that I first have to make a connection for the rear ones, but thereought to be something to lock the cable hoses, right? & doesn't that go for all 3?

& since I've found an axel that fits perfect on the springs, what does it matter what axel it is then? & where the cables comes out from the backing plates?

I thought I could get at least one reasonable straight answer to my question but that seems difficult, so again; hasn't anyone here replaced the trans e-brake with axel e-brake? & if so; how did you do it & are there any pictures or drawings of it?

Back