Earthquake in Oklahoma - 3 Sep 2016

tallhair

Rufus T. Firefly
Staff member
Reaction score
Hope everyone and their stuff is OK.

Wife and I felt it at approx 0702 Central time. Very slight up here in IL but apparently felt in Chi Town too.

Crbd-FZWYAEmt4G.jpg

An earthquake has rattled a swath of the Great Plains from Nebraska to North Texas.

The United States Geological Survey said that a 5.6 magnitude earthquake happened at 7:02 a.m. Saturday in north-central Oklahoma. It also tweeted that aftershocks may occur.

People in Kansas City, Missouri; Fayetteville, Arkansas; Des Moines, Iowa; and Norman, Oklahoma, all reported feeling the earthquake. Dallas TV station WFAA tweeted that the quake shook their studios, too.

An increase in magnitude 3.0 or greater earthquakes in Oklahoma has been linked to underground disposal of wastewater from oil and natural gas production. State regulators have asked producers to reduce wastewater disposal volumes in earthquake-prone regions of the state.

Saturday's quake was centered about 9 miles northwest of Pawnee, Oklahoma. Earlier this week, the same spot, which is about 70 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, saw a magnitude 3.2 temblor.

Sean Weide in Omaha, Nebraska, told The Associated Press that he'd never been in an earthquake before and thought he was getting dizzy. Weide said he and one of his daughters "heard the building start creaking" and said it "was surreal."

This time the wife blamed the cat for shaking the bed. Last time she woke me up and asked me what I was doing to shake the bed. LOL. That one was stronger for us because it was the New Madrid fault back in 08 or 09.

This morning I was in the living room and it made my chair and me wobble slightly side to side

I remember learning about the increased earthquakes in Oklahoma in my earth science class last semester. Even after what's going on there they still want to start frack sand mining in northern Wisconsin.

Remember this thread?

How's your day

Old fault lines and fracking, or just tectonics doing their thing? Anyway, hope everyone/everything ok for you folks affected.

yeah, tallhair, better get that insurance adjuster out right away - that looks rough :)

Here's a pic from the epicenter in Pawnee, OK. I wonder if the Farmer's Almanac had this one predicted?

upload_2016-9-3_8-48-15.png

Thanks for the chuckle this morning fellas!:thankyou:

Yeah, I felt it. Pretty damn strong! It was the same magnitude as the quake we had four years ago, but that epicenter was 50 miles East of OKC, give or take. Couple of cracks in the exterior brick, but nothing structural.

BTW, fracking is going on in 40 states, but only three states have seen an increase in quake activity.

There was another 5.6 magnitude quake in central California, too, at nearly the same time.

Back