Edelbrock 1406

monaco75

Reaction score
Wondering if I can pick y'alls brain, on an eddy 1406.

Carb is fairly new. On top of a 440 in the D300.

Truck runs good. Starts up easy, idles good, and don't notice any bogging.

Drives good with easy throttle. Problem is, after getting on it, the carb starts to flood out, and run like crap. Then can't clear it out. Can keep her running with some throttle applied, but can smell the gas.

Try pulling her over, and clearing her out, but it doesn't happen. Can't get it back under control.

Everything else seems great, aside from the flooding. Has anyone run a fuel pressure regulator, along with their 1406? Was reading on the chevy forums, the eddy carbs are very picky about fuel pressure.

Don't believe the floats have a pin hole, and are working correctly, as she will idle all day just fine. Only after a decent shot of fuel, she can't recoup.

Looks like the fuel pump would be putting out the higher side (around 6psi, and up if it's the factory pump) of the recommended 3-6psi.

Any thoughts?

I have read where the 1406 needs to be 4-5psi anymore can lead to the problem you mentioned. Regulator may help. Haven't had the same problem on 3 different engines (440,383,360) so far so good

Sounds like float level maybe just a tad too high. When you make a quick demand it drops and can't **** it off fast enough. I would pop the top off and check them to be sure. Chevy forum will make stupid excuses for poor performance.

Does your filter have that third small by-pass hose that runs back to the tank on it? Or should it? I know some of our cars came with that for some reason. It would relieve the pressure being put into the carb without buying a regulator.

I have read where the 1406 needs to be 4-5psi anymore can lead to the problem you mentioned. Regulator may help. Haven't had the same problem on 3 different engines (440,383,360) so far so good

Same here. Have had the same carb on multiple cars now. Never a problem like this. Was just thinking maybe this pump was replaced with a higher output one.

Sounds like float level maybe just a tad too high. When you make a quick demand it drops and can't **** it off fast enough. I would pop the top off and check them to be sure. Chevy forum will make stupid excuses for poor performance.

I hear ya on the chevy forums lol. Although it does seem to be a common thing.

Does your filter have that third small by-pass hose that runs back to the tank on it? Or should it? I know some of our cars came with that for some reason. It would relieve the pressure being put into the carb without buying a regulator.

No regular filter, with just a inlet, and outlet...

I agree with 70bigblock on this one.. Pull the top off and check your float levels. I ran into this on my 440 way back when.

Finally had a minute, with some decent weather to mess with the carb. Got it pulled, and top off. According to edelbrock, theresupposed to be set 7/16" from the trop plate. One was at 3/8", and the other at 5/16"-1/4".

Tweeked em both to between 7/16"-1/2". More towards 1/2".

Seems to have helped. Here's a vid starting her up, right after getting the carb on. Please excuse the mixture of exhaust leak, and what I believe to be part of the power steering noise.

After a little warm up took her for a test drive. I took some video in case it started acting up, but it never did. So woo! you can here the squeal I mentioned, in the trucks thread when first getting on the road. But goes away the more you drive it

Seems to be cured. Thanks guys!

I'm glad you got it squared away and it seems to be running great. Sounds good when you hit the throttle too. Couple of things though... your hands should be at ten and two o'clock while driving, you shouldn't be holding the dash cam in one hand, you were going faster than 15 mph when you left your community. Always come to a complete stop at the stop signs. From the area that we see in the footage you should have the Rebel flag painted on the roof, and definitely get a set of dukes of hazard air horns. :rofl::poke:
Glad you got it sorted Zac, she seems to be running great now.

Back