Edelbrock carb 1406 conversion on 78 400

imperialman

Reaction score
For those that have done this conversion are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of?
I did do a search here but didn't come across much information.
Thanks in advance!

For those that have done this conversion are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of?
I did do a search here but didn't come across much information.
Thanks in advance!

Can't say anything about a '78 400 but I have had great luck with one on a 383 in a '68 Sport Fury. It was on the car when I bought it in 1998 and it has not given me one bit of trouble. I can't remember if the 1406 has the electric choke but if it doesn't spend a few dollars more for the electric choke and get the Chrysler linkage adapter.

Can't say anything about a '78 400 but I have had great luck with one on a 383 in a '68 Sport Fury. It was on the car when I bought it in 1998 and it has not given me one bit of trouble. I can't remember if the 1406 has the electric choke but if it doesn't spend a few dollars more for the electric choke and get the Chrysler linkage adapter.
Thanks ! I noticed the linkage adapter on the Edelbrock website but wasn't sure if it was needed. I have since ordered it. The 1406 I have is used, but in good condition,having come off a 350 Chev.

Does that distributor use the lean burn to advance?(vacuum)

Yes. The other alternative is to use an earlier square bore intake manifold.

Did you convert the Lean Burn ignition system to the 1973-1976 electronic ignition system?

Yep
Yes. The other alternative is to use an earlier square bore intake manifold.
Yep but the later intake is basically a M1 dual plane in cast iron so unless it's a 70 or later square flange I would just use the adapter it will actually help the turn coming out of the carb on the secondaries at higher rpm. Plus the adapter is cheaper than a valley pan.

If the box on he air cleaner is not hooked up and the car runs it is either possessed or it has been converted with exception of the carb which is being handled.

If the box on he air cleaner is not hooked up and the car runs it is either possessed or it has been converted with exception of the carb which is being handled.
I will rephrase my answer to say that yes it has been converted, and yes the car is possessed:)

There would have to be an electronic ignition control box mounted on the firewall or the fender.

There would have to be an electronic ignition control box mounted on the firewall or the fender.
Yes there is a box mounted on the passenger side fender. I should also thank the people here for steering me toward a 1406 Edelbrock vs rebuilding the thermoquad . Maybe not saying so directly, but thru their experience.

The box on the air cleaner could be hooked up and just not part of the ignition system. No hiding the electronic ignition control box. It has to go somewhere and has to be hooked up.

Back