Edelbrock CH4B, Weiand Action+, Edelbrock Performer ... for RB Big Block - input sought

tallhair

Rufus T. Firefly
Staff member
Reaction score
.EDIT

Moving here for discussion and my edumication

I've always thought I'd like to have an Edelbrock RB CH4B / MOPAR P/N 2836150 intake for a 440. Also looking at the Weiand Action+ and Eddy Performer (not RPM) and discussion in this thraed below (this was in the wanted to buy forum) I'm reconsidering and appreciate any first hand knowledge with any of these intakes.

CH4B

168554-0c1bd5cb6befa45b6ad98a1afe463b56-jpg.jpg

ch4b-jpg.jpg

Weiand Action+ model 8009 (discontinued)

168555-36df7e26522905324d1bddc196f64846-jpg.jpg

Edelbrock Performer

168553-788b6ea64ece8e5dea1a6b1d21dbce20-jpg.jpg

And stock 70 440 for reference / comparison

rbbodiesonly.com%2Fmoparforum%2Fdata%2Fattachments%2F41%2F41230-e47c971ed813189c1512004dfd892a11.jpg

Here's one article I've read on these dual planes.

Intake Manifold Engine & RPM Range Test - Mopar Muscle Magazine

I'll see if I can locate another I remember that had several to compare.

Arrg sorry Bry this ended up on my 70 300 but I will keep my eyes open for another...
0880BF16-B624-4C2D-83D6-B24008D6EA58.jpeg

Arrg sorry Bry this ended up on my 70 300 but I will keep my eyes open for another...
View attachment 258949

Are you loving it? Any fitment issues with the carb or linkage or anything else vs factory?

I suspect not but just curious for hands on experience. I'm looking for lighter weight, stock height, and the original mounting bosses for stock install and appearance. Slightly improved performance (based on my research) is def a bonus but not main driving force. Fitting under an Air Grabber breather and hood are, but also might use it on the Coronet R/T one of these or a C body if I wind up with a 440.

Fit was good, kickdown linkage was a beyotch to get setup with the Eddy but all in all very easy and fits with the stock dual snorkel air cleaner nicely. The only thing I can’t tell you is if the A/C brackets work as I don’t have A/C. Definitely a better setup than the iron anchor it replaced.

I might have one for you. I just need to decide if I'm going with the factory cast iron dual quad manifold on my 300 or the Edelbrock 4bbl set up. I'll stay in touch.

Fit was good, kickdown linkage was a beyotch to get setup with the Eddy but all in all very easy and fits with the stock dual snorkel air cleaner nicely. The only thing I can’t tell you is if the A/C brackets work as I don’t have A/C. Definitely a better setup than the iron anchor it replaced.

Much appreciated !

The only thing I can’t tell you is if the A/C brackets work as I don’t have A/C. Definitely a better setup than the iron anchor it replaced.

The A/C brace that bolts to the coil bracket hole won't work as Edelbrock moved the coil mount. Your O.E. choke won't bolt up. You _might_ have a problem with the '68 and older cast iron A/C bracket and the two front manifold mounting holes, flanges are thicker than the cast iron intake.

The A/C brace that bolts to the coil bracket hole won't work as Edelbrock moved the coil mount. Your O.E. choke won't bolt up. You _might_ have a problem with the '68 and older cast iron A/C bracket and the two front manifold mounting holes, flanges are thicker than the cast iron intake.

Thanks! I really appreciate that feedback. Neither of the cars I have, have A/C but that's really good to know in case I wind up with an A/C car one of these days.

I was actually aiming for the CH4B because it has the CHRY#, history, etc, except for the coil hold down spots, of two others I looked at and doesn't have the choke well. I was also looking at the Weiand Action+ (no choke) and the Edelbrock performer (not RPM) but it has the heat well. That's not necessarily a killer but I'll probably use a manual choke if I even need one and didn't like the look or want it to interfere somehow ... probably silly.

I may re-evaluate my thinking on which one is the target. I think I'll move this thread to the tech forum while I'm looking into it and put a wanted ad up later on.

UPDATE: Thread moved to tech forum

168555-36df7e26522905324d1bddc196f64846.jpg

168553-788b6ea64ece8e5dea1a6b1d21dbce20.jpg

Last edited:
What was the issue and what was the work around? Any pics?

Ya about that...never took any pics and it’s under a foot of snow and its -35C outside so gonna be a while lol

Used an Edelbrock adapter to correctly position the linkage. Cruise control is another matter I haven’t solved yet

Ya about that...never took any pics and it’s under a foot of snow and its -35C outside so gonna be a while lol

Used an Edelbrock adapter to correctly position the linkage. Cruise control is another matter I haven’t solved yet

Haha ... understood and WOW that's cold. Did the factory linkage hit the intake or was linkage/throttle cable not long enough? Or was the old setup for something other than the eddy you are using?

The original setup was a Holley the kickdown was set farther forward than where the Eddy sits. Had the same problems with Tquads btw

.EDIT

Moving here for discussion and my edumication

I've always thought I'd like to have an Edelbrock RB CH4B / MOPAR P/N 2836150 intake for a 440. Also looking at the Weiand Action+ and Eddy Performer (not RPM) and discussion in this thraed below (this was in the wanted to buy forum) I'm reconsidering and appreciate any first hand knowledge with any of these intakes.

CH4B

View attachment 258901

View attachment 258902

Weiand Action+

View attachment 258970

Edelbrock Performer

View attachment 258971

And stock 70 440 for reference / comparison

View attachment 258972

Here's one article I've read on these dual planes.

Intake Manifold Engine & RPM Range Test - Mopar Muscle Magazine

I'll see if I can locate another I remember that had several to compare.

And BTW, where TF have you been?

The manifold in the third pic is a Mopar M1. Every Performer that I've seen for Mopar big blocks, 383s anyway, have EGR ports, the M1 doesn't. I have an M1 for a 383. I have a Performer on my 390 FE. To my surprise, I found that the ports are much smaller than the intake ports in the heads, making port matching impossible. I would have ground right through the aluminum manifold before achieving a match! I'm not sure if the Performers for Mopars have such small ports.

That’s good information on the AC brackets.

I bought a CH4B for the same reasons as Tallhair: lighter, better than stock, and fits with limited clearance. But my Imperial has AC, so that is a problem.

Hmmmm.....

The manifold in the third pic is a Mopar M1. Every Performer that I've seen for Mopar big blocks, 383s anyway, have EGR ports, the M1 doesn't. I have an M1 for a 383. I have a Performer on my 390 FE. To my surprise, I found that the ports are much smaller than the intake ports in the heads, making port matching impossible. I would have ground right through the aluminum manifold before achieving a match! I'm not sure if the Performers for Mopars have such small ports.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I can't locate a picture of the M1 that looks anything like the one I thought was a Edelbrock Performer 440 above but I'm thinking you are correct that the one above isn't a Eddy Performer but I don't know what it is but would like to. It does appear to have an EGR valve port though.

The 440 M1's I'm finding look like this ... are there dual plane versions of an M1?

g_six_different_intakes_on_our_440_dyno_engine%2F48825885%2Fmopar-performance-m1-intake-manifold.jpg

Ah the one above and below is a Mopar Performance P4529118 ... I think discontinued but looks like a contender maybe.

168553-788b6ea64ece8e5dea1a6b1d21dbce20.jpg

This is an actual picture of the Eddy Performer 440

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fi%2F262227086244-0-1%2Fs-l1000.jpg

Last edited:
The performer works well.
I have a Wiend on my 400, that engine has a host of issues so I'm no help on that.

I understand that the engine has issues, but could you comment on the fitment of carb (which ones you try on it) and linkage etc. Any differences that may affect factory equipment and brackets fitting as original and any necessary work arounds?

Anyone else have experience with the Weiand Action+ for a B or RB? The RB part number is 8009 but appears to be discontinued while the 8008 for B doesn't ... maybe they just have more of those left in inventory. ???

Looking for any experience and especially fitment and any performance info on this intake. I like the look of it.

168555-36df7e26522905324d1bddc196f64846-jpg-jpg.jpg

Back