EFI and fuel return line

carrman

Reaction score
Getting bit by the EFI bug, contemplating the Holley Sniper using an RobbMc PowerSurge tank. Read the instructions, and it states I need a return line to the fuel tank. What have those of you with EFI done to add that?

I dropped my tank and welded a bung on and ran 3/8 steel line which sucked. Dont for forget to put a drop tube in u dont want the gas just spraying back in the tank

Well that seriously sucks.
Try this with a fitech efi. Its what ill be doing on my next efi swap so i dont have to do a return line

Screenshot_20180618-151555.png

If you're using the RobMC surge tank, don't you do that so you don't need the return line?

Step 5: CONNECT A RETURN LINE FROM THE POWERSURGE TO THE FUEL TANK

A ¼” or larger return line must be connected between the “R2” port (1/8 NPT) on the PowerSurge and the fuel tank. Many cars built in the 1960’s or later came from the factory with a ¼” return line connected to the fuel pump or fuel filter. If your car has such a return line, disconnect it from the stock fuel pump or filter and connect it to the "R2" port on the PowerSurge. Then cap the ¼” barb on the stock pump or filter so it doesn’t leak fuel. If your car does not have a return line to the fuel tank, add one. Our 1965 Falcon test car did not have a return line. We made one from ¼” steel brake line (available at most auto parts stores). It comes in 6 ft lengths and is easy to bend. Low cost, stock type, replacement sending units with provisions for a 1/4" return line are available for many cars. This fuel line will not be subjected to high pressure so fuel injection type hose is not required.

CAUTION! The fuel tank must have a vent. Some factory vent lines vent directly to the atmosphere; others are connected to a charcoal canister or a vent box. Make sure the vent is functional. Do not use the vent line as a return line for the PowerSurge unless the fuel tank has another vent (or at least a vented filler cap).

Getting bit by the EFI bug, contemplating the Holley Sniper using an RobbMc PowerSurge tank. Read the instructions, and it states I need a return line to the fuel tank. What have those of you with EFI done to add that?
I'm not too sure about the Sniper, but Fitech uses an internal pressure regulator for all it's units so you do not require an external bypass regulator. I would imagine that Sniper works the same when you have an in-tank pump but because you using a Surge tank, you cannot send the excess fuel back to such a small container without inducing air bubbles and heating the fuel during pump operation. The pumps do get warm. Regardless, you have to send unspent fuel back to the tank where there is a large cooler volume. Remove your sender unit an drill a hole in the flange to accept a return line tube. You can use a small bulkhead connector but it's best to have the tube silver soldered in place. You can run neoprene fuel line from the engine bay back and secure it right alongside the feed line for neatness. Be advised that you should always go one size larger on the return line than the feed because a line that long will induce back-pressure right to the EFI unit ( or external bypass regulator ) making fuel pressure regulation inaccurate. You need the fuel to return to the tank effortlessly and not cause a high load on the fuel pump. The discharge return tube end should incorporate a bend the directs return fuel away from the pickup sock and float, pointing parallel to the nearest tank wall and sends the fuel swirling around the outer tank walls. It must discharge about 1/2 inch above the tank floor so it does not stir sediment.

Last edited:
I am glad you brought this up. I am surprised I don't remember anyone mentioning this, seems like a real pain to do it right. It is not on my list of things to do, but will keep this in mind forthe future.

Appreciate the different options provided and will tag for future reference.

I have yet to see even one FI conversion that delivered 100% it claimed.
Find me one person who has not said, "Works great except..."

Wow. Not even on the second page of the other most recent EFI thread.

I installed a FiTech on my ‘68 300, and unfortunately I cannot easily measure my MPG because my odometer is shot. But... what I can say is the performance is through the roof. It is super responsive never makes me feel like it is going to stall when idling. It is awesome at cold starts and you can feel the CPU getting everything dialed in on hot starts.

I know I went against the grain for some on this site by making a restomod out of my engine, but I couldn’t be happier and this car has never felt more reliable.

I appreciate your feedback Stan. My carb works great until I turn a sharp corner and it sputters, or I'm at 5000' elevation and it won't start, or it's hot outside and she boils her fuel, or.....

I appreciate your feedback Stan. My carb works great until I turn a sharp corner and it sputters, or I'm at 5000' elevation and it won't start, or it's hot outside and she boils her fuel, or.....
So, are you going the FI route?
FI is the greatest thing to ever happen to engines. No argument here, whatsoever.

Read carefully my remarks about FI.
I have never seen anybody use an aftermarket FI conversion kit and get it running as advertised.
i.e. Bolt it on, let it go through the learning curve, and the ol 440 all of a sudden runs like a 2018 Lexus. That's what they promise....

Last edited:
We do read your comments carefully. That's why we are offering corrections when you once again change the criteria for being right.

I don't know any EFI that claims it will turn an old car into a modern car. They claim to improve drivability, throttle response, cold starts, and reduce or eliminate periodic carb adjustments. You said, "Find me one person who has not said, "Works great except...""

So I did.

Now the standard is a performance benchmark that doesn't exist. In fact, Every review I've read says that EFI won't fix everything.

You don't like retrofit EFI. That's okay. The benefits don't outweigh the costs for you. That's okay. But it's false to say that nobody is satisfied. It's false to say that aftermarket EFI claims to fix everything.

Back