Eisenhower Cadillac damaged in accident

cm23uoc

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
2,w=756,q=high,c=0_bild.jpg
2,w=993,q=high,c=0_bild.jpg

During a Transport to another Museum as I heard the car got damaged as a "bystander" in another accident on the German Autobahn. Damage would probably been less without trailering.

I watched the video - if that other little SUV/Crossover thing was the tow vehicle then the rig was extremely unbalanced. I'll be they had to do an avoidance manoever which likely resulted in a serious case of the tail wagging the dog which got out of control. There were no other vehicles involved as far as the video showed.

I notice that the Caddy is facing the wrong direction. Must of been a hell of a ride for the guy in the truck.

At least it looks fixable.

There appears to be a black car (Opel?) pounded in the rear (on flatbed).

Shame they didn't just drive it (as the center of a caravan). Would have done the car a lot of good.

There appears to be a black car (Opel?) pounded in the rear (on flatbed).

Shame they didn't just drive it (as the center of a caravan). Would have done the car a lot of good.

there is still some salt on most roads in germany as temperatures are low.
So our classic cars have to stay indoors and are not driven

But I wouldn't trailer a car on an open trailer in salty roads either.

Despite that it was in a museum for a long time and even though looking good it might have been not really roadworthy. Another reason to trailer it but not in that amateur way.

Carsten

Despite that it was in a museum for a long time and even though looking good it might have been not really roadworthy. Another reason to trailer it but not in that amateur way.

Carsten

Good point Carsten ....why was this car on an open trailer?

I have no clue Dave

We can be happy that none of those were on the trailer.
Those were in the same museum at the time

424.JPG
448.JPG
471.JPG
421.JPG

Probably on an open trailer because it is so heavy. That car was armored, in fact you can see a gun port and the configuration of the flat windshield, so I would expect the car to be 10k pounds at least... maybe a lot more. Finding an enclosed trailer to handle that weight and fit the car width might be tough in Europe... I don't know.

Of course, that brings up if the whole rig (truck and trailer) were up for the job. I would expect a gooseneck trailer and a dually truck to haul a very heavy and very expensive car around.

Carsten

I'm sure you are correct, but I hate the idea of "museum cars". I'm ok with useable cars in museums, just not as immobile curiosities.

448-jpg.jpg

Would you spare me the cost of a round trip ticket to Germany and go close those headlights? It's bothering me.

Danke schœn.

I am living near that Museum. I've been there multiple times but especially the presentation of this car has been a constant pet peeve for decades. Free entrance for the guy who hints to the reason why. :poke:

421.JPG

Back