Electric fuel Pump placement

Knebel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Holley Mighty Mite electric fuel pump. I just tried to figure out where to implement it in the system back by the tank... the instructions say "no more than 12 inch from fuel tank vertically (bottom)" would one interpret that as "not more than 12" above the tank?" The pump is fairly small but there is no way i can put that thing anywhere on the frame without majorly replumbing the whole line. I have the pump and 5 feet of rubber fuel hose to work with. The instructions also recommend to mount it at a 45° angle. This alltogether is impossible!? Can anyone look at my pics and tell me if that placement should be a problem? I would want to keep the rubber hose to a minimum and would prefer the pump below the tank but there is no spot where that could be mounted.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...s/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/12-428
CAM01039.jpgCAM01040.jpgCAM01041.jpgCAM01042.jpg

CAM01039.jpg

CAM01040.jpg

CAM01041.jpg

CAM01042.jpg

I installed mine by the passenger rear wheel, kind of near the leaf spring perch. I have a mr gasket but its the same deal. be sure to fuse it and use a relay and oil pressure shut off kill switch.

its dark now but I can get a picture of it tomorrow if you need it.

try to minimize the use of the rubber hose.

also while doing this, there is probably a piece of rubber hose where the line passes thru the frame - change that piece out too while you are here.

- saylor

oh and pop off that ground clip and change the hose @ the tank too that looks nasty :)

be careful with the ground clip you need that thing.

Any electric pump should be mounted as close as possible to the gas tank. The reason you do this is because the pump finds it far easier to "push" the gas through the line to the carb than it does 'Pulling" gas through the line. The 12 inches refers to distance from the tank not height.

Thank you! The wiring is no concern and already neatly sorted out ;)

Saylor, i would absolutely appreciate a pic. Did you mount it down in that corner where the line goes through the frame? This pump supposedly has 50" dry lift capability so i thought up there would be fine but idk... dot have a warm fuzzy feeling mounting it there. I also have duals which take lots of space by the frame :(

I would put it on the shelf and install a good mechanical pump where it should be, on the engine.

VERY helpful. I have run electrical fuel pumps forever and never had issues with them, the mechanicals, however, heat up the fuel too much.

This is where the previous owner put the electric pump in my car:

IMAG2504.jpg

It works so I haven't touched it.

IMAG2504.jpg

...............:bs_flag:You,ve been listening to the Chevy guys to much.

...the mechanical ones heat up the fuel to much on my modified engine and enginebay. That may be contrary to what you expierienced but in my case, its true. No chevy involved, only good british cars.

got the pump installed today. I have put it about there in my pics... works fine but holley crap this thing is loud!? I gotta insulate that thing somehow. I used electric pumps befor back in germany and they were almost silent. Couldnt find them in the states, brand name is "hardi" if anyone cares.

Back