Electric oil gauge

yellowkeeble

Reaction score
Question for all you car nuts: Why would my newly installed electric oil pressure gauge be reading over 100 psi? My engine builder tells me I need to install a mechanical gauge but I don't understand why? The oil gauge and sending unit all came from the same kit but the information it's showing does not help me at all.​

bad sending unit? There are a few sending units with different resistance variables so perhaps yours is mismatched to the gauge. Just a thought

I run both a stock electrical unit AND a mechanical one... I just don't want to miss anything :)

We'll go through the list....

You could have a bad gauge
bad sender
shorted wire (ground short will cause high reading)

You could also have 100 PSI oil pressure. I've had engines that would go to 100+ PSI on a cold start, especially with a high viscosity oil.

I personally like electric gauges.... I never liked the plastic oil line coming into the car that most mechanical oil pressure gauges have... Just a leak away from ruining a carpet. But, as a rule, the mechanical gauges tend to be more accurate and repeatable.

Here's what you can do... Buy a mechanical gauge and just hook it up in the engine compartment. If the two agree... well... chances are you have 100PSI oil pressure. If they don't, one of the gauges is wrong.

This just hit me.....We are talking about 100PSI when the engine is running... Correct?

Back