Electrical problem 69 300

Power75

Reaction score
I am having a problem with interior lighting on my newly acquired 69 300 vert. The rear courtesy lights stay on and the map light has quit. The map light had been working when I open the doors, the rear courtesy lights needed new sockets so I replaced them, all checked out fine until I re-installed the panels. Then the map light quit again ( it has burned out already once in the last week or two while I've been working on the interior). The courtesy lights turned off with the door closing before I finished the connections then afterword they wont turn off. I have already checked both door light switches and they are both working fine. Is this maybe a ground problem?

A "ground" completes the circuit, whether at the door switch or somewhere else in the circuit. Map light bulbs usually last longer than what yours did, even if they are working all of the time.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Short lived bulbs manufactured offshore are part of life these days.

Did you make sure that the dash light dimmer switch isn't in the "interior lights on" position?

Jeff

A "ground" completes the circuit, whether at the door switch or somewhere else in the circuit. Map light bulbs usually last longer than what yours did, even if they are working all of the time.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
I understand the ground. It seems like the map light going out has something to do with the circuit.

Short lived bulbs manufactured offshore are part of life these days.

Did you make sure that the dash light dimmer switch isn't in the "interior lights on" position?

Jeff
The bulbs are vintage from a large stash I've had many years all USA made no new Asian crap bulbs. And yes I checked the light dimmer/dome light switch. When I check the two wires leading to the rear I get hot on one side with a test light and the other wire gives a faint voltage. I don't think that second wire should be hot at all but I don't know.

Off the top of my head, pink should be live all the time, and yellow gets grounded through the door switches and the dimmer switch. If your lights are on all the time, the yellow circuit is grounded somewhere. I would unplug the switches first, and if the lights are still on you probably have a pinched wire someplace.

There's only three things that will make a bulb fail prematurely: a defective bulb, excessive vibration, and voltage too high, usually from a bad voltage regulator.

I could take a look at a wiring diagram this evening to see if I can spot any other possible causes of your problem. I have a 1969 manual in my book collection.

Jeff

Thank you for the pinched wire idea, and yes the pink is hot all the time and the yellow is showing slight voltage ( it makes my test light just barely come on) I have looked at my manual, the problem is finding where these wires go up under the dash. I am going to check along the length of the pink and yellow as far as possible looking for anything wrong. Thanks, Pat

The dim light on the yellow tells you that you have some resistance in the path to ground.

Jeff

The courtesy lights share the door switches with the time delay relay for the ignition switch lamp, the lights on warning buzzer, and the door ajar warning light.

I would inspect the connections at the door jamb switches to make sure that the two different connectors on each switch aren't touching. If they are ok, try unplugging the wires from the switches and see what happens. The switches are supposed to keep the courtesy light circuit separate from the other circuits, but maybe they are mingling at one of the switches.

Jeff

The courtesy lights share the door switches with the time delay relay for the ignition switch lamp, the lights on warning buzzer, and the door ajar warning light.

I would inspect the connections at the door jamb switches to make sure that the two different connectors on each switch aren't touching. If they are ok, try unplugging the wires from the switches and see what happens. The switches are supposed to keep the courtesy light circuit separate from the other circuits, but maybe they are mingling at one of the switches.

Jeff
I'll try that when I get things back together, I went ahead with pulling the instrument panel which I am planning to replace, (it's cracked). I'll post results when it's back together. Thanks for the help. Pat

Back