Electroluminescent Dash

Moseman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, I just bought a 61 Imperial. I have been reading and researching. I came across that installing a capacitor in the power supply to the dash lights brightens up the lights. Electronics is one area that I have little to no knowledge. Should I be looking into doing the same for my 61? Or does this apply to the 62 and up models?
See this post about installing a capacitor in a 60.
Imperial Cars

I can’t imagine that the stock dash lights are not bright enough. I have 2 cars and those dash lights are just beautiful.

Do the dash lights work at all? What do you think of the dash lights? Get the electrical system right before messing with a good thing.

I can’t imagine that the stock dash lights are not bright enough. I have 2 cars and those dash lights are just beautiful.

Do the dash lights work at all? What do you think of the dash lights? Get the electrical system right before messing with a good thing.
Sure, just wondering. No plans to do anything at this time. Thank you so much!

A capacitor would provide minimal difference in what you can visually see, in a dash lighting circuit.
It basically stores energy that can be released when the voltage drops.
Another way to understand it is that the capacitor ‘smooths out’ the voltage being applied.

bottom line is that it wouldn’t provide much benefit.
(I tried to read the link you provided, but it is a private group)

A capacitor would provide minimal difference in what you can visually see, in a dash lighting circuit.
It basically stores energy that can be released when the voltage drops.
Another way to understand it is that the capacitor ‘smooths out’ the voltage being applied.

bottom line is that it wouldn’t provide much benefit.
(I tried to read the link you provided, but it is a private group)
Thanks Steve. The posting stated that the voltage increased quite a bit. But I am not sure my 61 dash is compared to his 62.

Thanks Steve. The posting stated that the voltage increased quite a bit. But I am not sure my 61 dash is compared to his 62.
What adding a capacitor can help with is to ‘fill in’ the low voltage periods. Alternators and generators put a lot of garbage on the power lines.

I worked on some radars that created all kinds of garbage on their power sources and some pretty large capacitors were used to smooth things out.
On one system. the generator powering the radar was isolated from the others powering the aircraft systems, because the voltage and current fluctuations were so great that it would trip the generator control system and shut off the power.

I think you’ll be ok getting the lights to operate without adding anything.

Back