Electronic ignition conversions

First, I don't think that Mopar Performance even sells the ignition kit anymore. If they do, I haven't found a listing.

The ignition "kits" that I've seen are usually made up of offshore sourced parts. We've had multiple threads on here about issues with the eBay sourced kits. It seems to be a crap shoot.

IMHO, the best bang for the buck right now is a used or rebuilt genuine Mopar distributor with a GM HEI module. Simple, reliable, and easy to source. Spare parts for a long trip would be another distributor with a GM HEI module for "plug and play" replacement.

My '70 300 has the older Mopar Performance ignition components that have been very reliable for me. For a long trip, I carry a spare ballast resistor and a ECU sourced from @FURYGT .
Funny you mentioned that working on one of those inside a mopar ecu box right now. I use one with the distributor machine and it definitely has a cleaner amplification signal then a stock mopar box.

Last edited:
Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit
Item #: MOP440-428
Regular Price: $159.93
Sale Price: $133.95

Weren't the like twice the price years ago?
So if I am understanding what I have read here, this conversion kit with a different Mopar box(blue?) would be the way to go with my 78 New Yorker?

Mancini Racing still has the MOPAR kits on their site
Mopar Performance
From their website: "Mopar Licensed electronic distributor conversion kits"

That doesn't mean it's an actual Mopar piece. It just means that Fiat collects a fee. I think they are being a little loose with the name "Mopar Performance".

So if I am understanding what I have read here, this conversion kit with a different Mopar box(blue?) would be the way to go with my 78 New Yorker?
IMHO, I think it's a crap shoot. It's a kit that Mancini has put together that is similar to the MP original kit. It may work fine, Mancini had a pretty good rep for parts... But it's still offshore stuff and not the quality of the MP kit that you could buy 20 years ago.

Weren't they like twice the price years ago?
IMHO, I think it's a crap shoot. It's a kit that Mancini has put together that is similar to the MP original kit. It may work fine, Mancini had a pretty good rep for parts... But it's still offshore stuff and not the quality of the MP kit that you could buy 20 years ago.

And there's my answer.

Pertronix for the win. Simple, easy, effective.
You know... There's a lot to be said for this... Some people love them and never have a problem. My Barracuda has the Pertronix kit and it's been fine. The PO swears by them and has them in all his cars. Then there's others that hate them....

GM 4 pin module hidden in a old Mopar ECU with bypassed ballast and MSD blaster canister coil works great.

WP_20170914_16_08_39_Pro.jpg

For the record, the ignition kit used on my '78 Salon came with a "blue" box that had no provision for the connector's center screw (very necessary). I was told it was a Mopar kit.

It also had a press-fit distributor shaft that failed in likely less than 500 miles. It cost the owner $400 OTD and then $2000 off the asking price when I bought it as a non-runner.

Yes, I suppose those kits have been good to me.

Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit
Item #: MOP440-428
Regular Price: $159.93
Sale Price: $133.95
Yes they where. And are now out sourced. My understanding is ProForm is behind this now. Like John said Mancini has a good reputation so I would think it’s still a quality kit. I think the ProForm version is a bit cheaper.

Weren't they like twice the price years ago?

I recommend building your own kit. Buy an NOS or rebuilt electronic distributor, an ECU and the Mopar Performance or aftermarket wiring harness. If you car is a pre 1970 car then you also need a solid state/electronic voltage regulator. I also recommend the Accel distributor cap and rotor and a good quality set of wires.

Used to be that the ACCEL electronic distributor looked pretty much like the Chrysler unit, tan cap included.

If the kit that Mancini sells is FCA-licensed, then it has to meet the specs of the orig kit, in ALL respects AND with FCA testing it to ensure it's at least equivalent to the prior MP items that Chrysler sold. There is a 5% (iirc) license fee in the mix, too.

The beauty of the MP kit was that it came with everything you needed, wiring harnesses included. Even if some of the components might have not been completely appropriate for a normal street car. The components of the kit were also available separately, but the kit price was better than the sum of the individual components together. AND, you knew what the advance curve in the distributor was.

Pertronix is up to their third-gen Ignitor. The base unit was Ignitor. Then came Ignitor II and later Ignitor III. Seems that most of the issues with their products were related to the later models, rather than the first variation. Might need to research the "love" and "non-love" Pertronix owners to see which one they have/had?

CBODY67

Pertronix for the win. Simple, easy, effective.

What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg

I went this route cause I didn't want a bunch of modern lookin stuff in plain view. BTW, on my hippy van with a /6 when I bought it was told that it had points. I bought a complete electronic ignig system for it and I couldn't get it to work worth squat. Van ran like crap, looked at the stock distributor and found that Pertronix was installed in it. I ripped out that electronic crap and put it back the way it was when I bought it, and never have looked back. Good Luck

If the kit that Mancini sells is FCA-licensed, then it has to meet the specs of the orig kit, in ALL respects AND with FCA testing it to ensure it's at least equivalent to the prior MP items that Chrysler sold. There is a 5% (iirc) license fee in the mix, too.

All FCA is worried about is the "Mopar" logo. There's a lot of "Mopar licensed" crap out there on the repop market.

I rebuild the distributors tell you what the older MP are just regular distribs with different springs and maybe around a 13 advance plate. Really not impressed with them. The newer ones are just like Mallory and you can adjust the max amount of mechanical advance as needed. . Been doing a lot of petronix lately really like them but if it fails your done. I do really like the 4 pin gm modules. Easy to throw one in the glove box and readily available, but stay on the high end with them. If you do go that route mount it some where you can get to it. Changing one on the side of the road with a SB and it is under the distributor would really suck.

There’s a guy on Facebook I think in Arizona that sell a lot of NOS aftermarket parts. A while back he had a lot of Standard Blue Streak Stuff. Neohoff, Elgin etc. even AC Delco. I believe his name is William Cowger. I bought a pair of vintage aftermarket valve covers from him & they where as described.

Yeah, he lives right up the road from me

Back