Electronic ignition for 66' Chrysler 300 with 383

Bryon Mason

Reaction score
Just rebuilt the engine and want to replace the old points with an electronic ignition, who out there has swapped and what brand you using? Any issues ?

I've used the MoPar Proform electronic ignition in several applications from a 318 to 440. I've got the system in my '66 Newport 383 and it runs great. Also have it in my 300 with a 413 and Polara 383 as well.

I retrofitted the stock distributor with a Pertronix kit. So far after 5 years it has been working perfect.

I retrofitted the stock distributor with a Pertronix kit. So far after 5 years it has been working perfect.

I'm sure lots of others will agree. Good Luck
What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg

How much is the Proform compared to a conversion Pertronixs kit?

I am a fan of both the Pertonix and Summit' s Mopar electronic ignition conversion kit.
The Summit kit distributor has a nice curve that works well with today's gas allowing more initial timing with no ping.

IMHO, there are 3 options. First is to use a rebuilt genuine Mopar distributor with a new (offshore sourced) ignition box. @halifaxhops can set you up with the distributor and @FURYGT sells a reliable replacement box. Second (and I think best bang for the buck) is the aforementioned distributor with a GM HEI module (I'll post a couple links). Third, and a really good choice too is the Ignitor II from Pertronix with their Flamethrower coil.

The Proform has some success, but the offshore sourced distributor just doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. Given the number of threads we've seen here with similar systems, I'd stay away from that. You can't get away from the offshore electronics.

As I said last night in a Pertronix thread, again, I'm not going to debate points. I'm in a crappier mood tonight, so think of something slightly more rude to say to yourself. It was a rough day... and I'm still pissed at the world.

Some links for the HEI conversion.

Mopar HEI Conversion
Mopar HEI Conversion
HEI Electronic Ignition Retrofit How-To - Slant Six Forum

Some interesting reading about some of the newer ignition conversions. Fake transistors!

Jegs (ECM) review !!!!

I agree with John those are the least expensive and reliably conversions out there. Did not read the thread on points, but a quality set usually lasts 10,000 miles and used for years. Biggest thing in this is make sure the curve is right for the engine.

i went with the summit kit with orange box on my 440 and noticed instant improvement over stock dist through the entire operating range.
make sure the reluctor is within .008 or whatever it specs.

the cheapest way is probably the GM HEI chip if you are technically inclined.

try not to die -

- saylor

Back