engine and air cleaner colors

1bad300

Reaction score
I have a 69 Chrysler 300 convertible I pulled the 440 out of. What is the correct color for the block and air cleaner. its HP440 car

C Bodies Turquoise engine color, semi gloss air cleaner.
69 last year for turquoise.
Unlike the B bodies 440's would be hemi orange.
Does your air cleaner have snorkels or without??
Cheers.

snorkels..... I thought the TNT were different color than the NON TNT....

my 70 300 TNT engine's block is orange

00u0u_cEPWcF4gGeY_600x450.jpg

snorkels..... I thought the TNT were different color than the NON TNT....
No,yet it is easy to think that as I mentioned,A/B HP engines are orange. (Ditto E bodies for 70 with some minor exceptions)
1970 saw some murky changes regarding engine colors. Different engine plants painted them different colors,Canadian vs American plants,etc,etc.
69 plain and simple Turquoise done.
Color Reference Pic is of my 68 383. 69 had the breather hose nipple relocated from the snorkel to the body of the cleaner.
Anybody who has a 69 please chime in,cheers.
boab 2018 006.JPG

I have been wondering about this for the color of my engine in my 69 Plymouth Fury III. The non original 440 in it now is orange. My new engine if I want it correct for the year should be Turquoise correct?

Gotta love Ma Mopar..Never say Never.
They were just mass produced cars by workers on an assembly line.
A lot of funny stuff was done just to get the cars done and out.

Well thanks for clearing this up for me lol.

Gotta love Ma Mopar..Never say Never.
They were just mass produced cars by workers on an assembly line.
A lot of funny stuff was done just to get the cars done and out.

Truer words were never spoke, LOL!

The same thing happened at the end of the muscle car (orange engine era) where there are some numbers matching 72s that left the factory with orange engines when they were supposed to all be the new Chrysler Corporate blue.

When you think about it, there were vast batches of engines all painted up that got grabbed and stuffed into cars on the line. There's bound to be anomalies...but cbarge spelled out well how it was envisioned to be from the factory.

Truer words were never spoke, LOL!

The same thing happened at the end of the muscle car (orange engine era) where there are some numbers matching 72s that left the factory with orange engines when they were supposed to all be the new Chrysler Corporate blue.

When you think about it, there were vast batches of engines all painted up that got grabbed and stuffed into cars on the line. There's bound to be anomalies...but cbarge spelled out well how it was envisioned to be from the factory.
I can add to that..72 340 Demon build date April 72..Numbers matching engine but casting date April of 71!! Has the good 71 crank but with low compression 72 pistons. Apparently there was an overstock of engines and were used up as needed..
cell phone 2 473.jpg

So what you are saying is ,it doesn't matter.

So what you are saying is ,it doesn't matter.
I'd say it matters to an extent. If it's numbers matching, pressure wash it and restore it to the colours you find, even if they're "odd" as its part of the history.
If it's a transplant, then do what you feel, because, let's face it. Restoring C bodies is not about cashing in at B/J.

I've been looking for the documentation but haven't been able to find it yet. I'm fairly certain I had some that indicated all L code 69's were Hemi Orange. I know mine is and it's the original engine, never repainted. Having said that, mine is also a Plymouth Sport Fury but I believe it was L code engines, not related to Make. Same would be true for HP 383's if memory serves. If I find the document, I'll share it.

Right Fender View of Engine.JPG

Just saying in the off chance the nasty old battery cable is OEM. It should have the original paint color on it.

0D442D7F-4480-4F16-96F2-8D9054C764E8.jpeg

Back