Engine bay restoration.

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I realized I started several different threads asking many questions on restoring the engine bay. I decided to start a new thread covering the whole process. I have been in the disassemble process so far. Today I took a snow day from work and spent a good portion of the day in the shop.

I finished the removal of the front clip. Scott (Rexus31) highly recommended that I remove the front clip, to do the restoration right. I was reluctant but realized he was right once again. I removed most of the suspension also today, except the items I need special tool to remove.

Front Clip off.sm.jpg

Front Clip off.sm.jpg

Looking good Mike! All you need to do is get that master cylinder out of the way and you are good to go! I would also unclip the bulkhead connector and drop it in the interior. As for the steering column, I would leave it in place for now and remove after you paint it. That way, you don't have to block the hole from the inside and can install a new foam gasket for the steering column after paint. Detroit Muscle Technologies should have these as I sent him my originals to use as a template. I would also remove the wiper motor and any nuts that may be securing the heater box. You can repaint the wiper motor yourself or send it out to get rebuilt like I did. There should also be plastic retainers coming through the firewall that hold the firewall insulation in place. You can either mask them real well so they don't get painted or cut them off and install new ones from inside the car. There may be ones behind the heater box that would be tough to get to so masking may be the way to go. The fasteners look like this and are also sold by Detroit Muscle Technologies:

You're getting there Mike! Someday soon it will look like this:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks once again for the great info Scott. I was going to take the master and booster out today but I was all greasy by the time I was ready to do it. It will be first on the list on Saturday.

Last edited:
Mike has officially lost his mind. Scott we already knew about but Mike tried to convince us that he's taking a somewhat casual approach. That ship has sailed...

Looking good, that is going to be one good looking ride. I have a question, what color do you paint your engine bay when you cant match existing color and do not want to paint the entire car?

I think its the painting thing, you know he was not going to spray bomb the dust on. Good job keep up good work.

Mike has officially lost his mind. Scott we already knew about but Mike tried to convince us that he's taking a somewhat casual approach. That ship has sailed...

You had it exactly right I was not taking out the master and lines, the fenders, and front bumper, then it all went to hell when I kept seeing pictures of Scott car.

Looking good, that is going to be one good looking ride. I have a question, what color do you paint your engine bay when you cant match existing color and do not want to paint the entire car?

Thanks, I'm in good shape and just painted the car last year so I using the same paint. For your case, my local autobody paint store had the formula. Option 2 I was going to take in a skirt to have them match it. There are still guys that can do this, if they say that their computer can match it I would be concerned. If they say they use a computer to get the starting point and then hand match, you will get a better result.

Nice work Mike! Goldie just keeps getting better quickly, didn't you just buy her a few weeks ago???

Happiness is nothing but surface rust. I had a good day in the shop today. I got most of the rust on the frame ground off with a braided cup wheel on my grinder and then sand blasted the areas I couldn't get to. I ran out of medium so I didn't get it all done yet. I also got my re-cored radiator back from the radiator shop

Frame rust removed.sm.jpg
Radiator re-core.sm.jpg

Frame rust removed.sm.jpg

Radiator re-core.sm.jpg

Gorgeous!! Thats what a radiator should look like........... Have I ever told you how much I love your car? :love7:

My hands are aching just thinking about all that wire brushing. Great job.

Posted via Topify on Android

My hands are still vibrating and it is amazing how the medium from the sand blasting is everywhere in the shop and on me. I've learned to wear a hoody that I can draw up tight around my face.

I'm trying to remember the sequence of events:

1. Find car in barn.
2. Dump tranny fluid down the carb & safely fire up said barn find.
3. Discuss possible touch up areas but plan to drive somewhat as-is.
4. Have car painted.
5. Completely lose your marbles & opt for a full on class-A restoration.

Bravo!!! :eek:ccasion14:

Ooh La La!!

I know someone else that's doing the exact same thing to their 66 Polara convertible!

Best of luck with it.
You will be very happy you did it!

Back