Engine cradles

Bayoulee

Reaction score
does anyone have reccomendations for where/what engine cradle to usefor a 383? Ive never used one and dont know anything about them. Id prefer one w casters but could add those if i had to. Thanks!

does anyone have reccomendations for where/what engine cradle to usefor a 383? Ive never used one and dont know anything about them. Id prefer one w casters but could add those if i had to. Thanks!

What you are probably looking for is an engine stand. It has adjustable arms that bolt to the holes in the back of the engine that the transmission or bellhousing bolt to.
The stand has casters. The stand also has a pivot shaft that allows the engine to be turned after it has been mounted to the stand. Most auto parts outlets sell them. I would recommend that you by the heaviest duty unit you can find as the 383 and 440 engines tip the scales at about 750lbs fully assembled. The cheap units sold at Harbor freight are not up to the task of dealing with these engines. There is such a thing as an engine cradle, but I would not buy one myself as an oversized creeper is not good for much except to move an engine around a shop.

Dave

Typically when someone ask about an engine cradle they are looking for something to store an engine on.

I used lumber to make a cradle to hold mine and a harbor freight dolly to allow me to move it.
View attachment 137536

You do not want to store an engine on an engine stand, engine stands should only be use for temporary holding the engine while servicing it. If you use an engine stand to store an engine put a board under the front to help carry the weight.
View attachment 137571

Alan

Last edited:
You do not want to store an engine on an engine stand, engine stands should only be use for temporary holding the engine while servicing it. If you use an engine stand to store an engine put a board under the front to help carry the weight.

Can you elaborate on that please? I am currently storing (for long term) a 440 on a good engine stand, 4 bolts on the bell housing yadda. No front support.

I've never heard of your caution before but I certainly do not want to mess up my engine. What is the reason(s) for your concern?

Can you elaborate on that please? I am currently storing (for long term) a 440 on a good engine stand, 4 bolts on the bell housing yadda. No front support.

I've never heard of your caution before but I certainly do not want to mess up my engine. What is the reason(s) for your concern?

The flanges were not designed to hold the weight of an engine, my engine builder told me they have been known to crack or break. Personally I do not trust all that weight bobbing around on the engine stand.

Alan

The flanges were not designed to hold the weight of an engine, my engine builder told me they have been known to crack or break. Personally I do not trust all that weight bobbing around on the engine stand.

Alan

Agree. The longest the engine ever spent of a stand was three days while being assembled, painted, and then getting the lift. If I stored it I would build something out of wood as the few engine cradles I have seen look less substantial than stands even though they utilize 4 posts.

nuff said...

hrdp-1112-02-o-budget-engine-stands-junk-v6-block.jpg

What you are probably looking for is an engine stand. It has adjustable arms that bolt to the holes in the back of the engine that the transmission or bellhousing bolt to.
The stand has casters. The stand also has a pivot shaft that allows the engine to be turned after it has been mounted to the stand. Most auto parts outlets sell them. I would recommend that you by the heaviest duty unit you can find as the 383 and 440 engines tip the scales at about 750lbs fully assembled. The cheap units sold at Harbor freight are not up to the task of dealing with these engines. There is such a thing as an engine cradle, but I would not buy one myself as an oversized creeper is not good for much except to move an engine around a shop.

Dave
Understand thank you. I thought with a cradle I might be able to see if it will run before I put it in.

I made a cradle for both engine and transmission this past spring when I scored a 400 which I hope to rebuild for my 66 Newport. I used a big, heavy forklift skid built on 4x4 beams and 1/2" all thread, sheathed in 1/2" EMT for the 8" solid rubber wheels I put on it. I used a cut down shopping cart for the rear end. Moving the combined weight of engine + tranny still is no trifle in this MUD resulting from 6 weeks of non-stop rain. Its as bad here now as it ever was for me in St. Tammany Parish in the longago.

I cut and screwed together a heavy wooden V frame to hold the mounts in place. I've NOT yet been anywhere close to firing the motor up, and I plan to get a proper engine stand to work over engine and tranny separately. Be alll this as it was, I spent only ~ $40 on the material for my cradle. In a pinch, one might use a large old tire to hold the motor up....

Doesn't look like a single weld failed to me... I've had a dressed RV 440 on a stand for many years... I worried about if for a while, but have never seen a sign of any welds failing.

I also have never added the weight of a loaded drive-on lift:rolleyes:, but to be fair... when I move it, I do keep mindful of where my toes are.

Well, just be sure, last night I trimmed up a nice piece of 4 x 4 as a support.

I notched it out to go over the stand's 2 x 2 rail, then notched the top to sit on the two front oil pan bolts while not cotacting the pan flange. Works like a charm and peace of mind.

Very misleading! The picture doesn't tell the story of how the engine ended up in that position. The wooden blocks on top of the engine do. A device, probably the lift in the picture, was used to push down on top of the engine until the stand collapsed to that angle. Even the cheapo Harbor Freight engine stands will hold a big block engine up for years.

I have two engine stands. One is a generic 3 wheeled stand that I bought over 40 years ago. I've had complete (carb to oil pan) 426 and 392 hemi engines on it and it worked fine. The problem was you could tip it over if you weren't careful. I never did.

The other is a folding Harbor Freight stand that has 4 wheels. I bought that when I did my flathead six for my Windsor. I had torn down a similar engine on my 3 wheeled stand and it seemed a little unsteady because of the length of the heavy flathead. I like the HF stand much better and the 3 wheeled stand was taken apart and stashed. I'd use the HF stand again in a heartbeat.

Nothing but a HD 4 wheeler for me. I wouldnt put a Sewing Machine motor on a three wheeler.
And I still use a 2x4 under the front of the engine even with a 4 wheeler.

I have used the 3 wheelers for years, use with caution. If I get another it will be a HD 4 wheeler. About the cart for running the engine it can be done. Never use a engine stand as a run stand that's just asking for trouble.

Back