Engine dies after a minute

440Chauncey

Reaction score
I have a pretty annoying issue with my 68 New yorker. Its a stock 440 with a proform electronic ignition. Ive been running the car for two years with some issues. Recently I bought a reproduction carb and installed it and noticed my engine shuts off after a few minutes. I dont know if its a carb problem because I had the throttle half open and the car still shuts off and wouldn't start after. Then after letting it sit for a while it would start up and do the same thing. Im just trying to debate if its the carb or electrical problem. My wire harness isn't that pretty and in some spots the insulation is bubbled and burned. I have access to a good harness if it would be worth the swap. Im just wondering if someone else had this issue, if it could even be my aftermarket ecu. Like I said it just shuts off with no hesitation and wont start after awhile.

Thanks

Since it started when you installed the new carb, I'd say that's the first place to look.

A shot in the dark about that would be the float level or the float valve.

It definitely has fuel, the inline filter is full and the bowls and accelerator pump are squirting. I should've mentioned above that it has a quick cutout or two before it actually shuts off. Its like the engines having a hiccup. It has a new ignition as stated above along with new ballast, volt reg, battery and alternator.

Agree with 65sporty. You need both so find out which one is missing. I had a '74 Cuda with a very similar issue....it was a bad coil. Heated up, killed the motor. Cooled down, started right up. Easy check if you have a known good coil laying around.

Immediately when it dies, see if it's still squirting. A sticking float needle or obstruction behind the screen can also do something similar. If it sits, the bowl will fill, but after running for a little bit it drains the bowl... stuttering then won't start. Let it sit for a minute or two and it'll run again as the bowl will fill, just slowly.

Alternatively when it dies, pour a little gas in the carb and see if it starts. If it does, then definitely fuel delivery.

I have also had a coil do similar as mentioned above.

In my experience if its a stutter cough cough die its fuel if its like someone turned the key off its electrical but some smarter types here will have more to add....

"My wire harness isn't that pretty and in some spots the insulation is bubbled and burned."

Is everyone missing this?

Sorry for the long reply, ive had some network issues over the past few days. Anyway heres some pictures of my harness. It is really bad at the starter relay and near the headlights. Also I was peeling back the tape for the coil leads and the positive lead is really dry rotted. I do have electronic ignition so the negative lead is good. My phone camera isn't that good but heres some pictures of bad areas, as you can imagine most of my harness is like this.

20170214_134106_1487098178960_resized.jpg
20170214_134305_1487098183862_resized.jpg
20170214_134309_1487098181180_resized.jpg
20170214_134343_1487098194475_resized.jpg

20170214_134219_1487098177558_resized.jpg

This is probably whats causes my high beams to shut off randomly. Also my cousin has a 68 300 parts car with a good harness. It was a low mile car that had the engine pulled for years and has been in storage. I think i might be borrowing a harness from him!

Back