engine dress up kits?

66monaco

Reaction score
just curious, was there engine dress up kits from factory or dealers in the 60's? what i've seen '65 there was chromed aircleaners and valvecovers....?

Yes, for some years factory chrome valve covers were an option and in some years they were a dealer installed option and the design of the chrome valve cover changed sometime around 1970. I believe that the chrome air cleaner was only available for a few years.

As far as I can make out, for big blocks in 66 there were dealer installed or over the counter chrome valve covers, chrome air cleaner, and engine call out labels. Pie tins did not fit the stock air cleaner.

There were factory and aftermarket chrome engine items available, as mentioned above. I had chrome valve covers and air filter housing on my 66 383 Satellite and then swapped the valve covers to my A12 Road Runner.

But I was "young and dumb" then. Mopar big block engines have a "LOOK" that commands respect without all the chrome niffy naffys so common on ,say, chevy engines.
I think a well detailed to OEM Mopar engine is much more pleasant to view then a dressed out one. JMHO.

all the chrome niffy naffys so common on ,say, chevy engines

Sooooo I take it your not a fan of these?

OffyWingNut.jpg

:lol:

There were factory and aftermarket chrome engine items available, as mentioned above. I had chrome valve covers and air filter housing on my 66 383 Satellite and then swapped the valve covers to my A12 Road Runner.

But I was "young and dumb" then. Mopar big block engines have a "LOOK" that commands respect without all the chrome niffy naffys so common on ,say, chevy engines.
I think a well detailed to OEM Mopar engine is much more pleasant to view then a dressed out one. JMHO.

I like the 65 and earlier chrome valve covers - I decided to dress up my motor with them. The rest of the doodads I agree are too much.

great! thanks for the info! remembered correctly then :) here my 66 monacos engine now...
0eyhu.jpg

too bad somebody swapped original 383 to '76 400cid in the early 90's. i have always like chrome, but as older i get, more i like oem look :D just bought a 66 oem aircleaner to it, it was single snorkel and i made it dual snorkel, friend is gonna paint it soon :)
y6h01.jpg

i have spiced the gutless 400 little bit, it made 286 hp at rear wheels last may...so its like 383 hp engine now :) maybe installing holley sniper to it someday when the wallet says ok :) and if some day wallet gets really big, i'm gonna stroke it to 512 cid. around 450 rwhp is my goal. allthough "factory experimental c-body 426 hemi" would be cool too ! :)

Nice work! Yup, nice chrome valve covers, shiny black OEM dual snorkel air cleaner with a nice red correct engine call out. Looks good to me, with just the right touch of bling.

was there engine call outs in 1966 dodge and plymouths aircleaners? i have seen "chrysler 440 tnt" and imperial call outs but not in dodges and plymouths. allready ordered and got "oem aircleaner service" decal ;)

Mopar big block engines have a "LOOK" that commands respect without all the chrome niffy naffys so common on ,say, chevy engines.
YUP!....
boab 2018 006.JPG

boab 2018 005.JPG

Meh....to each his own. I think a tastefully dressed Mopar engine commands respect too. Don't make me grab the Earls catalog and the plasma cutter!

11834900_734008826701319_678253958080175415_o.jpg

Sooooo I take it your not a fan of these?

View attachment 265034

:lol:
No, never been a fan....I have my own tastes :)
100_0391.JPG

I like the stock ones but someone went hammer crazy on the corners of mine and I don't think I can salvage them.

It's the amount of breathers that you use on the M/Ts that determine the increase. You need at least 2 or 3 on each cover! :D

Back