Engine ID

Bayoulee

Reaction score
IMG_5528.JPG
IMG_5527.JPG
IMG_5529.JPG
Been searching web and forums Trying to ID a mopar engine. Ive read to look in front of intake, below distributor, right side of bLock, left sidebof block. I was told casting would begin with "383" if it was a 383 which i belive it to be but i cant find anything beginning with "383" These are the castings i found on side of block: that which appears to be "4-25-68 was on the Drivers side. The other numbers behind manifold, were the same on both sides and were "2468130.8"
Any help would be great, thank you

View attachment 137313 View attachment 137312 View attachment 137311 Been searching web and forums Trying to ID a mopar engine. Ive read to look in front of intake, below distributor, right side of bLock, left sidebof block. I was told casting would begin with "383" if it was a 383 which i belive it to be but i cant find anything beginning with "383" These are the castings i found on side of block: that which appears to be "4-25-68 was on the Drivers side. The other numbers behind manifold, were the same on both sides and were "2468130.8"
Any help would be great, thank you

I get a 383

Mopar Engine Casting Numbers

The series and machine dates should be STAMPED into a pad just below the distributor. These letters/numbers are stamped, not cast. If the block was cast on 4-25-68 then the stamped date will be later then that. 68 was a "D" series, so will be "D 383", or "D 38". If the pad is blank then it is a replacement block.

Ive read to look in front of intake, below distributor, right side of bLock, left sidebof block. Look on the passenger's side by distributor. You should find D 383 and a date something like 5 12 2. You may find a Maltese cross, a letter A or possibly the letters HP. If you find HP, look at the rear of the block near the oil sending unit for a VIN number stamped on where the bell housing meets the block.

I was told casting would begin with "383" if it was a 383 which i belive it to be but i cant find anything beginning with "383". That information is incorrect. You have the correct casting number for a 383.

Do you need to pull the distributor, ive cleaned up the area and cant see anything directly under it, which is too close to the block to see under. Thanks to all for the help!

The series and machine dates should be STAMPED into a pad just below the distributor. These letters/numbers are stamped, not cast. If the block was cast on 4-25-68 then the stamped date will be later then that. 68 was a "D" series, so will be "D 383", or "D 38". If the pad is blank then it is a replacement block.
Thank you- I cant see the pad under it though, as it is tight. I may have to pull distributor.

Right- looks like a 383 between the years of 1959-71. Does the 4-25-68 mean its a 68 model? I was told it came out of a 67'.
Since '67 production ended in early summer of '67, anything cast in '68 would not be the original block to that car. Warranty replacement possibly, or just a replacement engine at some point in it's life.

Right- looks like a 383 between the years of 1959-71. Does the 4-25-68 mean its a 68 model? I was told it came out of a 67'.

It could have come out of a 67 but as 300rag stated, it would not be original to a 67.

Let's start with the pad and go from there.

No hardened valve seats till early-mid '70s and yes, the 906 heads were open chamber.

IMG_5533.JPG
IMG_5535.JPG
IMG_5533.JPG
This is all i could find. Unless there's something behind that alternator bracket but I think that's unlikely.but I need to pull it anyway as I am going to do away with the AC. I will also attach a pic of the front of engine

I bet you'll find more once the bracket is removed.

Back