Engine pad and block casting numbers

Fick

Reaction score
Where can I find info on reading what the pad and block casting numbers represent? Or if someone has the info at hand...
I have a 1961 Dodge engine w/ 2x4 ram induction intake, it has the following #s:
Pad:
P38

Casting on LH side of block:
21204 29-3
Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Fick

It's a 361 and I'm not very familiar with them so I can't help you with the numbers on the pad by distributer? Should be more numbers stamped on the bottom of block at rear on the same surface that the oil pan bolts to.

Could we have some pics of the engine. A pic is worth a thousand words.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Could we have some pics of the engine. A pic is worth a thousand words.

Do you have the original car that this engine came in? I would like to see pictures of the car and the factory 2x4 setup too.

It's a 361 and I'm not very familiar with them so I can't help you with the numbers on the pad by distributer? Should be more numbers stamped on the bottom of block at rear on the same surface that the oil pan bolts to.

I pulled the engine and tranny abour 25 years and scrapped the 4 dr. Dodge. Now of course I wish I had kept the car.
I was assuming the engine and intake were original to the car. According to information I found the 2x4 ram intake was only offered on the 383 and 413, so I was hoping this was one of those and not the 361.
I'll see if I can get some pictures posted.
Thanks.
Fick

Let me know if you want any better close ups. Dodge 361 Cross Ram  Engine (9).jpgDodge 361 Cross Ram  Engine (10).jpg61 Dodge 383 Sonoramic (22).jpg

61 Dodge 383 Sonoramic (4).jpg

61 Dodge 383 Sonoramic (22).jpg

Dodge 361 Cross Ram  Engine (9).jpg

Dodge 361 Cross Ram  Engine (10).jpg

WOW! Let me research that for a while now that I have a visual of what to work with. Thanks!!!

Start with a basic tutorial:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/sonoramic.html
sonoramic4.jpg

I do know that at the very, very least, it's worth 2 -3 grand.

Chryslercrossram_01_700.jpg

The performance story of the 'B' engine really begins with the introduction of the long ram, 2 x 4 barrel 413 in 1960, introduced on the 1960 Chrysler 300F. At the same time, the D500 Dodges had a 330 hp cross ram injection manifold with dual 4 barrel Carter carburetors. This engine was a factory option as well as a dealer option for all models. The 330 hp rating is actually a low figure; dynamometer tests of the era indicated closer to 360 hp. The cross ram setup was more often seen on the Polara's 383, although the Phoenix 361 also had a cross ram option.

Last edited:
Was researching the same at Allpar, great place for such research, you could spend the rest of your life there if you don't pay attention.

This won't go in a B-or E-body. :)

There's a low mileage 4dr sedan survivor in a metallic green shade that I saw once in some Mopar mag, think it was a 61 Dart IIRC.

I pulled the engine and tranny abour 25 years and scrapped the 4 dr. Dodge. Now of course I wish I had kept the car.
I was assuming the engine and intake were original to the car. According to information I found the 2x4 ram intake was only offered on the 383 and 413, so I was hoping this was one of those and not the 361.

P38 is the stamp for 383. If the stamping is under the distributor it is a B engine (as the picture you posted) and if the ID stamp is on an extended boss at the front edge of the intake valley tray it is a RB engine, and if it is RB with a 383 stamp it would be from a Chrysler.

Pertaining to Dodge, the option for the 2-4bbl for '61 was only in the 383, in '60 the 361 and 383 were available with the 2-4s and in '62 the 413 was also available in the standard 2-4bbl and the Ram intake.

Last edited:
The casting number absolutely identifies it as a 361. There's at least a 1/2 dozen reference charts out there that prove that.

The casting number absolutely identifies it as a 361. There's at least a 1/2 dozen reference charts out there that prove that.

The 361 and 383 share the same block, and I will add that this will turn out to be a 1960 383 (4.25" bore) built on September 24th, so it may have been used in an early '61 model.

Your self confidence is quite convincing and as a result I could be swayed to believe you in spite of the casting #'s stating it a s a 361. I have learned that the #'s can be deceiving when it comes to these old Mopars.

Interesting... How do we prove it?

I tend to believe the guy that was there on Sept 24th when the engine was being built that stamped P38 on the engine ID boss.

If this engine has set for 25+ years, he likely will pull it apart to rebuild it to whatever degree, and it will have a 4.25" bore, the 361 has a 4.125" bore not the repetitious false 4.120" bore that is copied and repeated as gospel all over the internet.

Stans information likely is the same information found at one source and copied at several locations, though this is not incorrect information, just incomplete, which as we know can also be misleading.

Whomever is very busy writing so very much bad information at Ehow needs to be beaten, as they are FN morons. I would highly recommend to anyone searching for accuracy in specs to use service manuals or motor manuals of the era that their vehicle was built.

Last edited:
A casting number is part of the casting. You can NOT put on a wrong casting number by mistake.
You can stamp a wrong number by mistake.

I tend to believe the guy that was there on Sept 24th when the engine was being built that stamped P38 on the engine ID boss.
I'll trust the mold. The guy is subject to being hung over...

Whomever is very busy writing so very much bad information at Ehow needs to be beaten, as they are FN morons.
That we both certainly agree on 100%. I never use Ehow info.

I believe block casting number 2120429 have a VERY low production compared to 383's.
Very likely "the stamper" didn't even have the correct stamp handy for wehn the 361 came by his work station and just said FUGGIT....

Last edited:
The 361 and 383 share the same block, and I will add that this will turn out to be a 1960 383 (4.25" bore).

I never thought that the casting numbers were incorrect, I'm stating that they used the same block for the 361 and the 383 excluding the early Chrysler RB 383 with the 3.75" stroke.

The difference between the 361 and the 383 was an 1/8" difference in bore.

If you care to make it interesting we could make a friendly wager before this guy pulls a head off of his... 383 identified by the 4.25" bore.... and of course the P38 stamping.

A friendly wager sounds great. A small contribution to one's charity of choice? A bottle of a fine elixer of choice? The loser has to put an I Love Obama bumper sticker on their car?
BTW, I have no problem being proven wrong ;-)
(nor will I gloat when proven right - lol)

Last edited:
Back