Engine refresh needed. Anyone want a side job?

luis9995

Reaction score
im looking to have a 383 4 barrel engine rebuilt. Ran when pulled about 15 years ago according to the owner. So it would just need to be refreshed. No machining needed. Just torn down and refreshed and put back together.

I’m located in Southern California about 20 miles north of Los Angeles. Would prefer someone from central California all the way down to Southern California or would consider around LAs Vegas, Nevada area. Message me through here or text or call
Phone number removed by staff.
Or if anyone knows any reliable shops that do it for a fair price?

Last edited by a moderator:
im looking to have a 383 4 barrel engine rebuilt. Ran when pulled about 15 years ago according to the owner. So it would just need to be refreshed. No machining needed. Just torn down and refreshed and put back together.

do it for a fair price?

What do you consider a "fair price" ..?
ANY time an engine is disassembled it will definitely need some type of machining..
Hot tank. ridge, honing, cam bearings,, all cost...
Perhaps instead of looking for a "fair price" you might want to think about acquiring more funds..

What do you consider a "fair price" ..?
ANY time an engine is disassembled it will definitely need some type of machining..
Hot tank. ridge, honing, cam bearings,, all cost...
Perhaps instead of looking for a "fair price" you might want to think about acquiring more funds..

Don't be too hard on the FNG. . . I think he is looking for someone who is competent and fair to redo his 383.

Last edited:
If you find someone to help, maybe first step is to take it apart. Then take it to a machine shop to be hot tanked and measured up. That will determine the budget.

I did a lower mileage Ford 302 a few years ago and it measured up fine - no machining on the block. I ordered a rebuild kit, honed the cylinders, valve job, timing chain and it runs great. $

My 440. LOL. Out of bore, out of round, slanted, out of-square..... $$$

There’s a guy in Van Nuys. He’s a member of the CPW club there. He does a lot of work for the local car guys. I can get you his contact info. PM me.

I did the refresh route and it was a disaster and a waste of hard earned money.
Id agree with member Cazman.
You could get lucky but odds aren't that great unless its a lower milage motor that you know the history.

I did the refresh route and it was a disaster and a waste of hard earned money.
Id agree with member Cazman.
You could get lucky but odds aren't that great unless its a lower milage motor that you know the history.
72,000 miles. The guy removed it because he put in a rebuilt 383 with 500 hp. But I want to use that rebuilt engine for something else and put the numbers matching one back in this car.

Here is the challenge of a simple freshen up. More than likely you are going to find piston skirt wear. After engine tear down w/ an engine w/ 70,000 miles this is not unusual. Excessive cylinder wall taper is likely present also. Add cam, lifters and timing chain set. Kippy is right, a lot of money can be spent be worst off than before. Save up for a though rebuild, you will like the results much better. I have fixed many engines after a budget build.

I’m located in Southern California about 20 miles north of Los Angeles. Would prefer someone from central California all the way down to Southern California or would consider around LAs Vegas, Nevada area. Message me through here or text or call
Phone number removed by staff.
Or if anyone knows any reliable shops that do it for a fair price?
trust me there will be machining that needs to be done , break the glaze on the cylinder wall a freash valve job checking the heads for warpage then recerfseing them a mon union shop u r looking @ 3-4 k in alabor union shop a lot more . if u was out in missouri close to me i have knowa old school machineist that would do it for around $500-1000 but u have to have the psrtsif u want to change cams thats where the $$$ comes in .if u use aftermarket they r cheaper but i only un\se mopar performance cams & springs

If I were you, I'd look at getting it on a stand, hook up juice and coolant, do oil flush - maybe drop the pan and clean it out/look for debris. If the pan and inside the valve covers look clean, no debris or excess sludge, fire that thing up and have someone do some testing. Compression, timing, etc. You may be able to "freshen" it without dismantling. 70k is not that many miles. My 383 has around 160K, never touched engine or tranny, mostly in town commuting miles too, and it has great compression and doesn't burn oil - minus what leaks down the valve stems and seals when it sits. The umbrellas are hard. I get 5 seconds of blue puff and then it clears right up. Not a problem worth fixing at this point.
You start tear down and you will be looking at machining. You can't pick and choose which pieces you will replace either. Old-on-new virtually never works.

Back