engine sputters and boggs down when shifting from 2nd to 3rd

hotskins

Reaction score
I have a 66 fury III with a 318 and 727 trans. I have finnaly got it to the point where I can drive it. I haven't really driven it in about two or so years. I have taken it around the block every now and again, but nothing over 30 MPH. This past weekend I took it out to get some gas and buried the pedal just to see what she would do. It went fine until it had to shift from sencond to third. I could get out of the gas and back on it, and it would go until that shift point again. the car felt like it lost all power, RPM's dropped and it sounded like it was bogging down. I did try to accelerate slower and it did the samething. I have no idea what would cause something like this, so it is making troubleshooting more of a challenge. if anyone could shed some light on this, or point me in a direction to help me find the problem. or could it be that since I haven't driven the ol lady that fast in a long time, I may need to keep tryin and strech her legs out a bit? Any help or .02 cents would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

In a vehicle that is driven that seldom it may be that you just need to get it out and drive it more often in order to work through varnishes that may have built up in those circuits of the carb. Remoisten seals and soft parts. I would try driving it once a day but take it easy and at tha same time slowly operate it over its whole range. You could have a vacuum advance problem but that's just a thought, others will hopefully chime in here.

I'm hoping that is all it is. I'm going to try to get it back out on Wednesday, but if not then it will have to wait till this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion

detmatt you were right, I got in it this morning, took it slow and next thing I knew I was doing 70MPH. I guess i just needed to let the old ladies leg strech a bit. I even put the hammer down and it still shifted fine. Wohoo!!!

Hey, great to hear! I'm glad that worked for you although you may not be out of the woods yet..... A seldom driven vehicle comes with its own set of challenges when you reaclimate it to being driven more often. Like I said, just ease into it and take it one day at a time.

Don't worry, i don't plan on taking it on a road trip to California or anything crazy like that. I have a few small things to finnish up before I really start driving it, but it's nice to know that it can be driven if needed.

Back