Engine Swap question

MAXIMUS75

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and new to classic Plymouths. I just purchased a 1970 Fury Sport. I'm going to be restoring it but have an engine swap question. I'd like to install a modern fuel injected engine into the car but am having a hard time finding info or mounts to allow me to do so easily. I would like to drop an 06,07 5.7l hemi into it. MSD makes a stand alone system for about $500 so I figured it would be a good choice. My question(s), is this the best/easiest modern MFI engine to swap in? Does anyone make mounts for it? I'm pretty sure the oil pan will have to be swapped out. Not sure about headers. I will be using the car a lot and would like it to be reliable. There just doesnt seem to be too much of an aftermarket for the c bodys. Thanks

I think there is a member over on the Dry Dock who has just completed a 70's Plymouth Fury with something somewhat similar to what you are describing.

I think there is a member over on the Dry Dock who has just completed a 70's Plymouth Fury with something somewhat similar to what you are describing.

whats the dry dock? another forum? Thanks

Hey Maximus welcome to FCBO and hey put up some pics of the beast, we would love to see it! As for aftermarket mounts, No Im sure they would have to be fabricated, you know the original engines in these cars are very reliable and are cheap to maintain, not to mention the bullet proof 727's these cars have. what sort of mileage are you looking at per year?

I can only comment on 67 Polara 6.1 swap:

K member needs choppage. Miloden makes an oil pan for the swap. TTI makes a flex plate for the swap. Headers won't clear the steering box. Computer from 05 Ram works best (so I'm told). I'm using 6.1L 6-speed motor mounts since they are indestructible but they'll require custom fabricated brackets to work. Wiring harness with OBDII is available from painless.

I can only comment on 67 Polara 6.1 swap:

K member needs choppage. Miloden makes an oil pan for the swap. TTI makes a flex plate for the swap. Headers won't clear the steering box. Computer from 05 Ram works best (so I'm told). I'm using 6.1L 6-speed motor mounts since they are indestructible but they'll require custom fabricated brackets to work. Wiring harness with OBDII is available from painless.
Whats the cost for all that Ross?

Oil pan was a couple hundred. Harness was like six hundred I think. Flex plate was a hundred bucks or something. Motor mounts I don't remember but I'm sure I got ripped off cuz they came from the dealer.

Built 6.1L with a/c compressor, ps pump, etc., well, I'll have to let you guess.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! We'll need some before pics, pronto!

Thanks for all the info! Shes not much to look at now. A lot of surface rust but the car and chassis is solid. It does have the hidden headlights which I like. I'm taking pics as I go, I'll post as soon as I can. Also its a 4 dr but I dont mind. I knew about the pan and the headers not clearing, just trying to see if its worth the $$ and time. Maybe I'll freshen up the 318 and inject it. Might be easier.

Yep, that'd be the smarter play. I put the F.A.S.T. throttle body injection on one of my cars & it woke her right up.

Did the 70 Fury come with a 440? If so will that bolt up to the k-frame? I might be able to get my hands on one.

Did the 70 Fury come with a 440? If so will that bolt up to the k-frame? I might be able to get my hands on one.

70 Fury's could be optioned out with the 440. Schumacher sells conversion mounts. C Bodies don't have K frames...they have Stub frames.

Got a friend who works at a salvage yard and has a motor home with a 440 in it. I can get it pretty cheap. There's a lot more available for the BB it seams. Might go that route.

Its just a matter of finding the right motor mounts and changing the radiator, if its already got a 727 box in it you can use the same drive shaft, but you will need to get a big block 727 box for the 440, the motorhome box might have a different extension housing on the rear? Oh and change the primary pipes on the exhaust system. It has power assisted disks on the front? Its all I can think of right now.

Back