Entering the 9 circles of hell... trying to resurrect my ATC... update IT LIVES!

IMG_8187.JPG
IMG_8171.PNG

Excellent photos and descriptors MOVE N UP! Thank you very much - you aren't missing any details! Hope it all works well with the a/c system itself actually functioning well. Keep us posted. Maybe there is hope afterall. I might even have some NOS switches for an ATC I system if you need some.

UPDATE!!
I received my NOS master switch today and replaced it. I am happy to report that it works as it should! My selector switch however had a hiss, and the push buttons were a bit stiff in operation- so I swapped that out ( a little bit tricky)with an NOS switch that I had previously purchased....
I am extremely pleased to report that every function of this system now works 100% properly!!!! All doors move, and fanspeed is controlled to coordinate with temp selection. I spent around 30-45 mins putting the system through the paces. I must admit it is a bit strange to not have it have an immediate response to a setting ( with the exception of hot defrost) but as I understand it, the temp sensors need a certain amount of time to determine the inside conditions of the cabin, and those signals are sent to the control box to turn electric values into vacuum commands. But, as I said- when I want cool air I get a transition to cool air out of (mostly) the AC vents -I want hot air it splits between floor and vents -defrost it kicks *** on defrost!
I will consider myself lucky as I only had to replace two parts
Selector switch at $90
Master/clutch switch $60
Vacuum hose $30
And I repaired my vacuum reservoir with Right Stuff
+ many hours of research as well as hours underhood and dash. I consider the whole experience worthwhile!

Very nice to hear of your success. Given that the controllers in the kick panel seem to be the big hurdles in these systems, maybe with 62K miles on your car, that controller was already replaced once, so maybe you got a pretty fresh one. Great work!

Good job by you! Very descriptive in your text & pics describing how you diagnosed & then repaired your ATC I system back to functionality. I'm impressed !

Back