Ethylene Glycol or the new "Permanent" anitfreezes for our Original Mopars?

Henrius

Reaction score
Both my Newport and Fury have OEM-style radiators, ablbeit recored. I have got to flush and drain, and am wondering if the old Ethylene glycol antifreezes are still best. My new Corolla takes the newer pink antifreeze, which is supposed not to need periodic replacement. But new cars have aluminum radiators, not brass.

Which type of antifreeze do you guys use for your original Mopars? I would appreciate hearing your rationales.

Both my Newport and Fury have OEM-style radiators, ablbeit recored. I have got to flush and drain, and am wondering if the old Ethylene glycol antifreezes are still best. My new Corolla takes the newer pink antifreeze, which is supposed not to need periodic replacement. But new cars have aluminum radiators, not brass.

Which type of antifreeze do you guys use for your original Mopars? I would appreciate hearing your rationales.

You will need to run the Ethylene Glycol anti-freeze, preferably the extended life type which is supposed to be good for 50-100k, depending on the service conditions. You have an iron block and a brass radiator and this anti-freeze is the best suited for your application. Modern Propylene Glycol anti-freezes were a sap given to animal rights activists to keep cats and dogs from getting poisoned, as it is a food grade product. On modern cooling systems made mostly of aluminum this product works as long as it does not get exposed to atmosphere or combustion gasses. It breaks down quickly into corrosive by products that destroy aluminum radiators and castings if the cooling system does not remain sealed for some reason.

I do not run the pink crap in anything I own, including my modern vehicles for that reason. The very worst of the modern anti-freezes was the orange stuff that GM used. It is a blend of Ethylene Glycol and Methylene Glycol, this product was highly unstable and trashed a lot of cooling systems because of corrosive byproducts.

Dave

So what is the green stuff in the Prestone jugs that say for use in any cooling system and provides long life?

So what is the green stuff in the Prestone jugs that say for use in any cooling system and provides long life?
If is is colored green, it is Ethylene Glycol, the long life Ethylene Glycol is usually colored yellow, except in the 50/50 blend.

Dave

Green antifreze all the way. 50% solution. Change every two years and you won't have to worry about corrosion problems.

Fluids are cheap, radiators are expensive.

If is is colored green, it is Ethylene Glycol, the long life Ethylene Glycol is usually colored yellow, except in the 50/50 blend.

Dave

For best results, a two thirds mixture of Ethylene Glycol and distilled water is preferred. Most city water has Chlorine and possibly Fluoride added. Both of these are highly corrosive and are not suitable to be left in any automotive cooling system. The two thirds mixture of coolant versus distilled water provides less oxygen ions to cause rust if the mixture starts to break down. The 50/50 premixed stuff does use distilled water if you prefer to drain it on a two year cycle.

Dave

Last edited:
Ethylene glycol has less heat transfer capability; the water component is how the cooling action happens, that's why 50% solution is recommended.

Yes, a lot of the water out there from municipalities and private wells is not ideal for a cooling system, therefore I like to use distilled water.

Ethylene glycol has less heat transfer capability; the water component is how the cooling action happens, that's why 50% solution is recommended.

Yes, a lot of the water out there from municipalities and private wells is not ideal for a cooling system, therefore I like to use distilled water.

If you are running in the "hot zone" of California, I get your point. You will lose about 10 degrees of cooling capacity using the two thirds mix.
Here in Oregon, heat is not usually a big factor so I go with the higher ratio and get three times the coolant life. Each situation is different.
Dave

If you are running in the "hot zone" of California, I get your point. You will lose about 10 degrees of cooling capacity using the two thirds mix.
Here in Oregon, heat is not usually a big factor so I go with the higher ratio and get three times the coolant life. Each situation is different.
Dave
And up here in the frozen wastelands, we use the recommended 70% mix to get the freeze protection to -45.

Dave
Sorry for the red x Dave... I couldn't let that stand JIC someone took it as gospel... you HAVE to read the labels... color means nothing. I have propylene glycol that's green at work... it cannot be visually distinguished from ethylene glycol.

Sorry for the red x Dave... I couldn't let that stand JIC someone took it as gospel... you HAVE to read the labels... color means nothing. I have propylene glycol that's green at work... it cannot be visually distinguished from ethylene glycol.

Somebody may have screwed up, or you may have gotten some blended antifreeze, the green color according to the hazard marking protocol is supposed to contain Ethylene Glycol. This is supposed to determine how it is disposed of.

Dave

Dave

Haven't seen this "long life ethylene glycol." What is the added ingredient to make it last longer?

And isn't it possible to add more corrosion inhibitor (a different product) and extend the life of the antifreeze?

Last edited:
If you are into chemistry: Product goes by the name of "Prime Antifreeze"

Formula in descending order: Ethylene Glycol, DiEthylene Glycol, Sodium 2-Ethyl Hexanotate, Sodium Neodecanote.

And no, I have no idea as what these things do other that a PH strip will indicate the coolant good for up to ten years.

Dave

Somebody may have screwed up, or you may have gotten some blended antifreeze, the green color according to the hazard marking protocol is supposed to contain Ethylene Glycol. This is supposed to determine how it is disposed of.

Dave
Broke the seal on the bottles myself... I believe it was this...
edit: I did read the label...
1994_image2.png

Dave

Green colorant is no longer exclusively used for Ethylene Glycol. This has changed since I retired.

Dave

Back