Ever wonder who designs car dealerships?

John Kelly

Reaction score
Nerds like me. I'm putting together my portfolio (job hunting now) and came across these sketches I did when I was working for a design firm in Ohio. Being Mopar fans, I thought you might get a kick out of these early concept sketches for car dealerships. I think they were actually built, but who knows where!!

_DSC2010.JPG

_DSC2017.JPG

FCA has created the Image program for Dealerships so that for the most part they all look the same on the outside. The "ARCH" is now required on all new buildings and must be retrofitted to existing structures.

These are pretty neat, and would be a lot better than the same, bland, over-sized, cheap looking fronts car dealers (regardless of make) have these days.....

Dealerships and other chain type stores end up designed by committee. Working with GM group drove us nuts. The architects walked away as the boardroom piddled around for a year deciding an a “corporate” color. That is the worst company to try to get anyone to make a decision.

Yeah, most projects end up being designed by a committee, the sketches above, like most sketches are supposed to be used to get those conversations started. If we are lucky, they don't stray to far from the concepts, but most of the time the higher ups want to add their touch to a project. And they do.
It never bothered me, it's "design", not "art". Art is for your passion, design is for your paycheck.

You’re right. The big bucks were in drawing up assembly plants.
Very often the cool designs around here were done by one guy as a side job.

There have always been some sort of "corporate look" orientations in car dealerships, no matter which OEM it was. Usually, it was the signage that did the trick, rather than specific architectural features. EACH one had "personality"!

Since about the middle '80s, the OEMs have had more control of how the individual dealers look, by observation from a GM point of view. Outside architectural features, colors, materials, etc. are in a menu for the dealers to choose from. Even the interior furnishings have to be signed-off on! And, in the case of our former Nissan store, WHERE the chairs on the showroom floor were located. Have to move the KeyTrack machine to a storage room, BEFORE Nissan would sign-off and write the final check.

The modern franchise agreements state how the store should look and operate. Standardization is the key, it seems, plus corporate training of how to "act" (via online training, etc.).

Prior to the appearance of the Chrysler LH cars, Chrysler had a corporate training program called "Customer 1", which also came with a training manual. It was designed to orient the dealer people/employees to the fact that they would be seeing some NEW customers like they hadn't seen before AND how to treat them. Of course, there had been MasterTech programs on how to treat customers since the 1950s!

Buick had one in the later '80s termed "Living the Vision: Exceeding Customer Expectations". The dealer principles and upper management got a three-day version. All other dealer employees got a one day seminar. End result, everybody from the dealer principle to the service porters got the course. It was a good one. Part of the earlier compliance with employee training requriements.

About five years ago, a Chevy dealer in the midwest remodeled his store to look similar to a Bass ProShops store. It was claimed thatthe customers loved it and sales increased. But several months after it was finished, GM/Chevy came out with their new corporate image program and HE had to comply. He tried to fight them, didn't "win", and sold the store as a result.

Dealers have a LOT more hoops to jump through with their OEMs, more than ever. BUT there are financial pey-offs to do so, too! For a larger dealership, those "carrots" are VERY substantial! Most of the remodels are subsidized by the OEMs, significantly. So, that's how they seek compliance.

There are a few coffee table books out on car dealers of the 1960s and such. Quite intersting, with lots of memories in them. Some of the larger-city dealerships were quite ornate and beautiful. As many were in downtown areas, few are left today.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You can tell a Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Buick / GMC dealership about a block or so away. They all look the same. It's the corporate image. I prefer the family owned dealerships of days gone by. Look at my avatar. The dealer started in 1914 and they are still in business selling used cars and doing service work since Chrysler dropped them in '08.

Back