Every time I restart the car I get lifter noise under 1st acceleration

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had a great time driving the car today. I started and stopped the car numerous times. I noticed after everytime I restarted the car I would get lifter noise on the first time that I accelerated and then not at all after that first time. Is this at all normal? I presume the oil hasn't made it to the lifters yet. I hope this doesn't mean the oil pump days are numbered. I have a 383 stock everything with a factory Carter 4 barrel.

This occures after a normal medium accelerarion, I am not punching the gas. However if it has been running for a minute and then punch it, no lifter noise.

It sounds like your lifters are bleeding down. I forget, did you put in new lifters or not?

(Sent using Forum Runner)

It sounds like your lifters are bleeding down. I forget, did you put in new lifters or not?

I haven't touched anything internal. I removed the valve covers and cleaned the rocker arm assembly and that is it.

Try a couple of cans of Miracle Tiger Piss from the auto store that claim to free sticky lifters. If that doesn't work, live with the clatter until far down the road if and when you decide to do a semi-engine tear down and don't worry about it in the mean time.

I haven't touched anything internal. I removed the valve covers and cleaned the rocker arm assembly and that is it.

Did you remove the rocker arm shaft assemblies to clean them?

Did you remove the rocker arm shaft assemblies to clean them?

This was discussed in an earlier post and it was felt they were reassembled correctly, plus:
" I noticed after everytime I restarted the car I would get lifter noise on the first time that I accelerated and then not at all after that first time" would ellimate the rocker arm assy. as the problem. They would clatter all the time.

Oh...... Then they must be.

Hell no. Don't want to join any council foolish enough to have me as a member.

We'll ask Stormer after his review.
Unless they wear hoods or something....

The council is made up of everyday regulars ......... With Joey being the president and having final say. Thats why this place is the best place to be

The council is made up of everyday regulars ......... With Joey being the president and having final say. Thats why this place is the best place to be
It must be excruciating for Joey to be the lone voice of reason....

Back