Excuse my ignorance but ?

Imperial

1. coco

coco Member

Getting close to buying a car at the moment and wanted to ask if there is any issue with running modern unleaded petrol (gas) in a 68 Imperial engine. If yes, should I use a fuel additive, which one? if not then all good. If any UK members are reading this, where is the best online UK stockist for engine service consumables? and finally any recommendations for Oil ? Should I use modern synthetic types like castrol GTX magnatec or something else?

Maybe I should have thought to ask about of all this before :realcrazy::rolleyes: and maybe its been asked before too :BangHead: sorry !

Got a body tag of the car to decipher and had a go myself, seems to tally with the car, but not sure what all the top numbers are about ( below the lower case alphabet and below the capital alphabet)? I can see the paint, engine, body, colour, interior type/colour, when/where it was made.

Here is a pic of it

Big thanks to detmatt for his advice and help behind the scenes :thumbsup:

tveiT-wLfvcjpJL34y16.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. detmatt

detmatt Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

You can run pump gas, I always put the high octane 91 or 93 here in the states and run 1oz of marine 2 cycle oil(with TC-W3) per every 5 gallons of gas in the tank to help deal with the ethanol in todays pump gas. Maybe in Scotland you have non ethanol fuel available, this would be ideal. As far as oil I run Penngrade.
    Don’t run synthetic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. FURYGT

FURYGT Senior Member

Some may disagree but I add some lead additive to the fuel a few times a year in addition to using higher octane fuel.

As for oil, you need to either use a ZDDP additive or buy an oil like Penn Grade that has it in it and it is also a semi-synthetic, which was recommended to me by an engine builder and master mechanic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. detmatt

detmatt Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

The numbers below the letters are all individual options such as power windows etc. and it does have the sure grip.:thumbsup:

5. coco

coco Member

Thanks guys, limited slip differential as I've just discovered its also known as., good news. Oil brands here probably different, so will look into that, been a long long time since I bought any, been driving modern cars too long.... and let a garage do all the dirty stuff :eek:

6. mr. fix it

mr. fix it Old Man with a Hat

And use Zinc based engine oil...

7. live4theking

live4theking Old Man with a Hat

Way to go.

8. Fratzog

Fratzog Old Man with a Hat

Congratulations are in order. :thumbsup: Once you get your new baby home we expect some pics!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. coco

coco Member

Some way to go with the purchase still, it's in another country and the complex transport and export paperwork may scupper the deal but fingers crossed it comes off.

10. Snotty

Snotty Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Running unleaded will not hurt your motor at all, not after over 40 years of use.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. LeBaron1973

LeBaron1973 Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

If you're using an experienced company to transport your car, have no concerns, I brought my cars over to Christchurch from Adelaide with no difficulty, leaving it to the experts is the way to go. Good luck with your car.

12. mr. fix it

mr. fix it Old Man with a Hat

Hope it works out for you

13. coco

coco Member

Thanks for the advice and replies ! some of the quotes are half the value of the car ! so they're a no go. Getting prices for container shipping port to port at the mo. Not giving up yet....

• Like Like x 1
  14. twostick

twostick Senior Member

Have tried this company?

Global Shipping & Logistics Solutions | Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics

I run into the Port of Baltimore and there are usually a bunch of classics waiting to drive on the ship. Cars must be in running condition with brakes.

What part of Scotland are you in? My wife and I are heading there in September. Landing in Edinburgh.
    Kevin

15. coco

coco Member

Thanks for the link Kevin, expecting some prices tomorrow for container shipping, think they will be much the same cost no matter who you use. Shame there are no car ferries from any Scandinavian countries to the UK now.

I'm just outside City of Glasgow( nicer people than the Edinburgh lot ha ha ) If you need any help/advice with anything just drop me a private message and I'll do my best.

16. twostick

twostick Senior Member

If you've ever seen the way they handle containers at a port, you might want to rethink that option.

What part of the world is the car in now? Wallenius sails into Liverpool. Looks close on the map. Lol

Kevin

17. coco

coco Member

The car is in Sweden not the US Kevin, so much complication in driving it back I simply cannot do it, 6 different countries to navigate through, rules different in every one ! I can't even drive in in the UK till it has been given registration plates, so will need to trailer it back or have a garage with "trade plates" drive it from the docks location to my home. At the moment buying is so near but yet so far. Think seller will be getting cold feet dealing with a foreigner as a lot of work for him too.

Liverpool is about 300 miles from me, port of entry, I hope, is only 30, if the container shipping I've asked for works out! Buying from the USA is cheaper and easier, cant believe that, given we are, at the moment, members of the EU. :BangHead::(

18. twostick

twostick Senior Member

I looked up Stockholm to your part of the world by road. Lol you can't get there from here easily. Trailering it yourself or rent a flatbed truck possible or financially feasible?

Kevin

19. bajajoaquin

bajajoaquin Senior Member

You will want to run 91 octane or higher in your Imperial. They had 10:1 compression and were intended for US “premium” fuel.

It will run fine on unleaded, as it’s the octane requirement that is important (along with the ethanol) to how well it runs. The lead lubricated or cushioned the valves. If the heads have ever been rebuilt, they likely have hardened seats. If not, you may see accelerated wear on valve seats.

20. ImpJay

ImpJay The different young FCBO Gold Member

@coco

We use Gulf Classic across Baltic Sea in the (79) 360 LA and the (67) 440 RB. It´s mineral-based oil packaged in nice blue/white metal cans and it includes zinc additive.