Exhaust diameter on stock 1972 4002bbl manifold?

daver

Reaction score
Hi again!

Not going to fudge with fudging headers on the 72 400bb. Stock manifolds. No hp mods save for this, hei & ignition timing.
Just going to run a dual/h pipe dual muffler setup. I'm going for deep(er) tone and better flow mufflers (walker's?)

Does this squarish motor like anything bigger than 2.25 inch from the manifold back?

thanks!

Tti makes a complete 2.5 inch system with h pipe and includes Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.
Works well on a stock motor, has a nice deep tone yet quiet when highway cruising.
They ask for your exhaust manifold casting numbers and bolts on in one afternoon.
Hope this helps.
65-73 C-body Exhaust Systems

2.5" will give it a deeper more muscular tone and would future proof you for most upgrades

Hi again!

Not going to fudge with fudging headers on the 72 400bb. Stock manifolds. No hp mods save for this, hei & ignition timing.
Just going to run a dual/h pipe dual muffler setup. I'm going for deep(er) tone and better flow mufflers (walker's?)

Does this squarish motor like anything bigger than 2.25 inch from the manifold back?

thanks!
2.25" duals is plenty for your vehicle in stock configuration 400 low compression, 2 bbl carb, log manifolds. Doing your own exhaust work is fine if you have a lift, but gets harder if you don't. I'd check prices from your local exhaust shop.

I'd check prices from your local exhaust shop.
Speaking both as a customer and former service advisor at a shop, here is a few reasons I recommended TTI.
Not many exhaust shops----or techs-- can do "custom" exhaust bent from scratch.
The expense comes from bending the tailpipes.
If a tech bends one up and does not fit you are billed for that pipe.
What works on the hoist may clang and bang when on the ground.
Most shops will butcher the crossover and weld to the pipes just down from the flanges. Most prefer avoiding unbolting the flanges.
TTi did their homework and their systems fit perfectly. All the mounting hardware, hangers and clamps are included.
I did 3 cars already.
The flanges at the manifolds are super thick and fit perfectly.
Tip: get quality flange gaskets with the metal ring.
The gaskets in the TTI do not have the metal ring and I burned through them.
That is the only issue I had and partly my fault for not rechecking flange bolts.

The cost of the TTI system will be on par or cheaper to any exhaust shop that is willing to handle an old C body.
Some shop will quote a " I dont wanna do it" stupid crazy high price.

To save money and still get a decent system, you can just order the TTi tailpipes and related hangers and get your local exhaust shop to do the duals and install your supplied tailpipes.
But if their quote is the same as the TTI system just get the whole damn thing from TTI and install it yourself.
Hope this helps.

I have had a butchered custom system delivered before as well. Tti on the charger is nice

I have had a butchered custom system delivered before as well. Tti on the charger is nice
Speaking both as a customer and former service advisor at a shop, here is a few reasons I recommended TTI.
There is a difference between an exhaust shop that knows what it's doing and one that does not.
In my area CP Muffler, Richmond, Virginia is a professional exhaust shop that did top-notch work on 3 of my vehicles.
In my area Meineke Muffler, Tappahannock, Virginia is an unprofessional exhaust shop that did poor work on my 1990 Dodge W150.
If the original poster wants to keep the 2 barrel carburetor, log manifolds, low compression big block a professional exhaust shop may be fine.

Last edited:
I agree. If you don't know anyone in your area that can voche for a shop tti takes the risk out, at a price of course

My local exhaust shop still has the old bend cards in a file cabinet. They did a perfect job on recreating my factory single exhaust. He built the y-pipe back to the stock mugger and NOS resonator.

I have not found a decent exhaust shop in the GTA that can come close to the TTI system. The shops also quote higher than TTI even after shipping and exchange. I think I am on my 11th installation. Only issue was and I was told by TTI, that I would have to reposition the right side flange on my Imperial head pipe. Easy for me and done. The other issue was I used my choice of mufflers that were longer then what they designed for. That one is on me.
Call up Rob's Rod shop, great family biz in PA. Tell them Jackson sent you.

2.25" duals is plenty for your vehicle in stock configuration 400 low compression, 2 bbl carb, log manifolds. Doing your own exhaust work is fine if you have a lift, but gets harder if you don't. I'd check prices from your local exhaust shop.

I agree with this on the 2.25". After I worked the math on how much air my 410-4V engine is pushing vs. what the 2.25 pipes could handle I could see I didn't reach the max of what the pipes could handle and that 2.50 would be too much. The 2.25 can handle a max of 371 HP and since my 410-4V is staying stock they are good enough.

Completely irrevelant to your setup, however this is a full tti 3" system, x pipe, headders and the "quiet super turbo" mufflers they offer.

MEVs system likely sounds much better in person than a recording. I think my 300 sounds good with its single 2.5” magnaflow, but it doesn’t sound right on video.
Travis..

Best to watch/listen on your desktop with speakers and a sub, or on your smart tv with a soundbar and sub, or better yet, in a dedicated home theater.

Back