Exhaust layout

Rooster34

Reaction score
Hey ladies and gents hope all is well! Ill be getting the rest of my exhaust put on this week and I had a question which the answers may be personal preference. So I have a 65 fury 2 with the 318 all stock internals minus the cam which is a 264 .450 solid lifter. TTI headers necked down to 2.5 inch collectors with an H-pipe assembly connected to hush thrush mufflers. My plan is to have the tail pipes dump out behind the rear tire at either a 45 or 90 degree angle, I think the 90 would be more aesthetically pleasing than the 45. Or should I go straight out the back? Would I run into scavenging issues if I went with my original plan of dumping behind the rear wheels? Or would it all be good either or?

Hey ladies and gents hope all is well! Ill be getting the rest of my exhaust put on this week and I had a question which the answers may be personal preference. So I have a 65 fury 2 with the 318 all stock internals minus the cam which is a 264 .450 solid lifter. TTI headers necked down to 2.5 inch collectors with an H-pipe assembly connected to hush thrush mufflers. My plan is to have the tail pipes dump out behind the rear tire at either a 45 or 90 degree angle, I think the 90 would be more aesthetically pleasing than the 45. Or should I go straight out the back? Would I run into scavenging issues if I went with my original plan of dumping behind the rear wheels? Or would it all be good either or?

Keep the exhaust out the rear of the car, side dumps look funky and have a bad habit of scraping on curbs, etc. If any of the soft plugs are out on the rear quarter, exhaust has a bad habit of entering the passenger compartment thru the holes, same is true of any rust out on the rear quarters. You also have a large leaf spring potentially in the way of a side dump. Most Mopar side dumps are forward of the rear wheel, and that leads to exhaust intrusion every time a side window is open.

Dave

Last edited:
Keep the exhaust out the rear of the car, side dumps look funky and have a bad habit of scraping on curbs, etc. If any of the soft plugs are out on the rear quarter, exhaust has a bad habit of entering the passenger compartment thru the holes, same is true of any rust out on the rear quarters. You also have a large leaf spring potentially in the way of a side dump. Most Mopar side dumps are forward of the rear wheel, and that leads to exhaust intrusion every time a side window is open.

Dave
I can see the the exhaust intrusion if dumped in front of rear wheel especially where it's a 4 door, that would be the last thing I want.and I agree now that you say the leaf spring would potentially get in the way.

Behind the rear wheels, like a '67-'69 Camaro?? NOT Out the back with the rear pipes with the turn-down as was factory back then. Helps keep the crud off of the rear bumper. With a hard-hitting cam and such, better to stir-up as little dust as possible when the exhaust flow hits the ground!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

You usually don't run the exhaust out behind the rear tires on Chrysler products because of interference with the leaf springs. It's common on GM and Ford because they have coil spring rears and there are no suspension components rearward of the axle. GM and Ford vehicles with leaf spring rears will run the exhaust out to the rear bumper and exit at the corners of the car.

Jeff

You usually don't run the exhaust out behind the rear tires on Chrysler products because of interference with the leaf springs. It's common on GM and Ford because they have coil spring rears and there are no suspension components rearward of the axle. GM and Ford vehicles with leaf spring rears will run the exhaust out to the rear bumper and exit at the corners of the car.

Jeff
Excellent, looks.like I will be going out of the rear! Thank gor everyone's input!

I think out the back looks best.

IMG_2260.JPG

I think out the back looks best.

View attachment 467032
Hi , not sure if this thread is still going, when I look at the above 2 photos, the tail pipe ends where in relation to the bumpers edge? These are almost at the gas tanks rear seam well short of the bumper's edge. Can someone clarify, it would be great to know, why so short, always thought the exhaust had to protrude just a smidge past the bumper.
I am going to have to construct the exhaust on my 67 Newport from the muffler to the back if I stay with a single exhaust or do a duel from the maniflods.
Thanx in advance, PT

No OEM exhaust pipes protruded past the rear bumper, even on the '66 Chrysler with its reverse-angle of the lower bumper. With the stock production pipes. As a result, there was some "coloroing" of the lower edge of the chrome and the rh backup light lens, with time, on our '66 Newport Town Sedan.

Which means that many tend to extend those rear pipes to prevent that coloration, at their own choosing. Some even go much farther with pipes that extend way past the chrome and even the rear of the sheetmetal . . . which is too far to me. Making the rear exhaust pipes vulnerable to getting bent on steep driveway approaches, I suspect.

#8 above is the correct configutation. For verification, you might seek out some old magazine road test articles of Mopar 4bbl/dual exhaust cars. There was a CAR LIFE road test of a '67 Fury III Convertible, which should have a side shot of the car on the highway. Possibly showing the rear exhaust pipes, too? One place to look is www.wildaboutcarsonline.com, in their road test section.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Here is a ‘68 382 2-bbl single exhaust.
NOS resonator which includes the gooseneck over the rear axle. This still had the original parts tag on it to verify that it was the same as what the parts book called for. The tip ends even with the back edge of the gas tank. Dual exhaust had a little different downward angle than the single. But they also stopped short of the bumper. Hangers are also original in this picture.
(Looks like I need to do some cleaning on the bottom).
7C900EEC-BDF6-4946-A204-1ECE23CBEBA0.jpeg

Here is a ‘68 382 2-bbl single exhaust.
NOS resonator which includes the gooseneck over the rear axle. This still had the original parts tag on it to verify that it was the same as what the parts book called for. The tip ends even with the back edge of the gas tank. Dual exhaust had a little different downward angle than the single. But they also stopped short of the bumper. Hangers are also original in this picture.
(Looks like I need to do some cleaning on the bottom).
View attachment 568063
Perfect angle shot, thanks again, from your avatar I see you have Magnum 500 rims, do you mind if I ask what size you went with, rims, tires, centre bore and offset.

Cheers , PT

Perfect angle shot, thanks again, from your avatar I see you have Magnum 500 rims, do you mind if I ask what size you went with, rims, tires, centre bore and offset.

Cheers , PT
I went with the 14” stock offset. I have some notes somewhere with those measurements. I went with the 14”s as that was the original size and look for’68 and I had just purchased the 14” tires a year or two earlier so I could roll the car around.

I went with the 14” stock offset. I have some notes somewhere with those measurements. I went with the 14”s as that was the original size and look for’68 and I had just purchased the 14” tires a year or two earlier so I could roll the car around.
Here are some notes I had taken.
I think I got the rims from Summit.

Rim offset 3-3/4" back front 2-3/4"

5 bolt 2-5/8 spacing 4-1/2" diameter circle

Hub 2-3/4"

Behind the rear wheels, like a '67-'69 Camaro?? NOT Out the back with the rear pipes with the turn-down as was factory back then. Helps keep the crud off of the rear bumper. With a hard-hitting cam and such, better to stir-up as little dust as possible when the exhaust flow hits the ground!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
You should be long gone by the time the exhaust hits the ground and stirs up the dust! LOL!

I 2nd out the back with the stock turndowns…..

View attachment 467102
Mr. Samplingman, If I could kindly ask, where did you purchase your single exhaust system? I'm looking at TTI and all I get is the duel exhaust systems, it was originally a single so I want to go the same way from muffler back with resonator and turn down tip.

Thanks PT

I actually used a combination of nos and good used pieces. The Y pipe and tail pipe with resonator were nos. eBay seller fast_eddies_mopars has the tailpipe and resonator he might also know where to get a Y pipe. I got the measurements of the muffler from the FSM and then searched available stock to find a close fit. The hardest part was the the center connector between the Y and the muffler. I lucked out and found a member here that was good with the intention of having a shop bend a new one, but it was in such good shape I ended up cleaning it up and using as is. I called TTI and they would have sold just that piece, but I think it would have been close to $200 with shipping. I think I pieced the whole thing together for under $300, but that was in 2019-2020.

BC8667D7-ED7C-41C8-A7A7-95298F8A4C81.jpeg

3D6CB179-7EAB-468B-A557-BF0FF8A03EBF.jpeg

I actually used a combination of nos and good used pieces. The Y pipe and tail pipe with resonator were nos. eBay seller fast_eddies_mopars has the tailpipe and resonator he might also know where to get a Y pipe. I got the measurements of the muffler from the FSM and then searched available stock to find a close fit. The hardest part was the the center connector between the Y and the muffler. I lucked out and found a member here that was good with the intention of having a shop bend a new one, but it was in such good shape I ended up cleaning it up and using as is. I called TTI and they would have sold just that piece, but I think it would have been close to $200 with shipping. I think I pieced the whole thing together for under $300, but that was in 2019-2020.

View attachment 568373
View attachment 568374
Thanks for the info, I think I will have to McGiver like you did, I hope I can get individual parts from TTI, especially the over the axle section.

Have a nice evening,

PT

If you are looking to do single exhaust, you might check with Waldron's. I'm happy with the one I got from them a couple of years ago.

Home

Back