Exhaust on your wagons

The exhaust on station wagons should exit to the side under the rear portion of the quarter panel at angle toward the back with no turn downs. Exhaust coming out the back under the bumper even with turn downs will enter the passenger compartment with the tailgate window lowered even part way, which can result in carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here's a wagon with a TTi system. In my opinion, not the greatest look, especially for what they cost. I think the factory pipes exited right at the corner of the rear bumper where it meets the body, and they did have a slight turn down to them so that the pipe wasn't hanging down too low.

IMG_4539.JPG

I have an NOS tailpipe for a fuselage wagon and it does not turn down. It should exit under the quarter panel. The tailpipes in this photo come out to far back IMHO and based on factory exhaust systems that I have had and seen.

Here is mine with factory dual exhaust. Not original to my car but was taken off an original 71 Custom Suburban and swapped to mine many years ago.
WAG04.JPG

Here’s mine which I had copied exactly from the original when I had it replaced.

View attachment 218438
73 T&C, can you show a couple photos from the underside at different angles please... My '66TC arn't original - pops changed it so I don't know what they should look like. I'm going to have duals put on and want to get the angles correct. - Thanks

73 T&C, can you show a couple photos from the underside at different angles please... My '66TC arn't original - pops changed it so I don't know what they should look like. I'm going to have duals put on and want to get the angles correct. - Thanks
Will do tomorrow.

I say run your pipes what ever way you want. Not every wagon has a 3rd seat or has children or pets hanging there head out the back window.

Pets or children are not a restriction as the wind deflector forces air to flow downwards at the rear of the car.

IMG_5890.jpg

My '67 383 with (as bought it) cherry bombs into lake side pipes... LOUD! Did have fumes finding their way in but carefully using brown household 'D' shaped self adhesive foam strip in addition to the original rubber weather stripping around all the doors & tailgate has cured this. Very cheap fix!

That rear deflector doesn't do diddly for the exhaust fumes. When I got my TnC they had the exhaust out the back. Fumes would come in even if I only had the window slightly cracked. I finally got around to having my guy put an exhaust on it and he ran a right angle, out the side, just in front of the bumper. Never had a problem again. I always liked to put the back window down a bit in the summer. We had a St. Bernard at the time and she loved riding in the back.
I feel it's important to run them out the side. Don't take any chances.

Marco's yellow '77 has great looking tips, and in the right spot.

I agree that the exhaust does get drawn up into the negative space the rear area of the wagon creates when driving. I found that if I crack the rear glass an inch or two and have the floor vent open it creates a "flow through" situation and keeps the exhaust from entering.

Not a C but still a wagon..
I had fumes doing straight back.
Cut them off and re-routed to behind the wheels,,,
DSC01918.JPG

View attachment 237763
My '67 383 with (as bought it) cherry bombs into lake side pipes... LOUD! Did have fumes finding their way in but carefully using brown household 'D' shaped self adhesive foam strip in addition to the original rubber weather stripping around all the doors & tailgate has cured this. Very cheap fix!
I've got a 72 Custom Suburban and I am getting fumes with the rear window up... my (single) tailpipe comes out at the rear corner just before the bumper and angled down... because I had the rear window up I didn't consider the exhaust position as the culprit.. I did a visual on the motor when idling and see/hear no exhaust leaks...I inspected the tubes and the muffler but looks/sounds good. Pretty sure it's exhaust fumes... I know all my door and window seals are crumby so I want to try the brown "D" strips... have any pics of that? Or more info on what those strips are? I love the wagon but driving it is a bummer with the fumes...

Back