Exner

I just looked again for the
We Dreamed the Dream Cars! by J.R. Samsen
on Amazon, EBay, and Barnes and Noble....nothing available.

Not a big fan of the off-set headlamps. The 61/62 Chrysler at least were held in the same canted bezel but i still prefer the 60 front end. The bulging google eyes of the 62/63 Dodges just bug me.

Do you see the resemblance?

bb0213-146946_1.jpg
3684561_300x300.jpg

Had a chance this year to have an in-depth discussion with GM designer Bill Porter who was involved in the look of the original '66 Toronado. I'd always liked the look of these cars, but once he'd finished explaining all of the design "firsts" that this car introduced, my appreciation for them increased substantially.

There are a couple of guys in the Detroit area who are working diligently on documenting the world of design and the automobile. There have been a number of exhibits of automotive designer's art in the area and the next showing will begin January 4 at the Scarab Club in downtown Detroit. (In a part of the city that is quite safe, easily accessible and decent parking) The show runs until February 18 and Bill will be at the show January 6 with an additional discussion January 19. Previous shows have included work from designers representing all Detroit manufacturers, the last show was focused on Packard and the show beginning January 4 highlights Corvette. (I know, not a Chrysler product). For those of you who live in this part of the world, getting to see this work and talk to some of the people who created it is a unique opportunity.

I have a book of "prototype cars of the twentieth century" that has an entire section devoted to VEx and his designs for Chrysler.

Tried looking up that title and struck out. Is that the actual title? Do you recall the author?

Had a chance this year to have an in-depth discussion with GM designer Bill Porter who was involved in the look of the original '66 Toronado. I'd always liked the look of these cars, but once he'd finished explaining all of the design "firsts" that this car introduced, my appreciation for them increased substantially.

There are a couple of guys in the Detroit area who are working diligently on documenting the world of design and the automobile. There have been a number of exhibits of automotive designer's art in the area and the next showing will begin January 4 at the Scarab Club in downtown Detroit. (In a part of the city that is quite safe, easily accessible and decent parking) The show runs until February 18 and Bill will be at the show January 6 with an additional discussion January 19. Previous shows have included work from designers representing all Detroit manufacturers, the last show was focused on Packard and the show beginning January 4 highlights Corvette. (I know, not a Chrysler product). For those of you who live in this part of the world, getting to see this work and talk to some of the people who created it is a unique opportunity.

There are still a number retired stylists and commercial artist around Detroit. Lawrence Tech has done some nice shows with great speakers and an art gallery style show of original art and models. Still some guys in their 90s that dad worked with attending these shows.

So cool..

Wish I lived closer.....at least during the next 30 days.

There are still a number retired stylists and commercial artist around Detroit. Lawrence Tech has done some nice shows with great speakers and an art gallery style show of original art and models. Still some guys in their 90s that dad worked with attending these shows.

Please and thank you if you'd PM me if you hear of an upcoming such events.

My first Mopar was a 1962 Plymouth Fury, red in red. I've always had a soft spot for them. They are love/hate styling, but I love them as well as the dodge.
62 fury 1.jpg
62 fury 2.jpg

Anyway you look at these actual production cars, I don't think any one thinks the original full size clay models of the Plymouth/Dodge production models would have been anything but a disaster. Like I said earlier, the production cars were actually pretty nice in my eyes. The full sized ones were just toads..............................................

Back