Exterior LED lighting upgrade

Okay so I've been working on converting my interior and exterior lighting to LED and a thought popped into my head.

There are several lighting circuits around the car which have a dedicated fuse in the fuse box. The point of switching to LEDs is to significantly reduce the load on those circuits (with increased illumination). Now are those fuses there to protect the lamps or the wiring? (or something else entirely?) In other words, is it a good or bad idea to swap out the respective fuse for a smaller size to better match the expected load of the lighting circuit? Or am I overthinking things again?
Ok..if you did LED in your house would you put in lighter circuit breakers?
Nope.
As mentioned already, fuses are for protecting wiring.
The circuits will be much happier with the much lower load from the LED.
Cheers

It's wild how something as simple as lighting can make such a difference, right? Dealing with flickering lights and electrical gremlins can be such a headache, so I totally get why you made the switch. Also, major props for tackling the installation yourself! There's something so satisfying about getting hands-on with your ride and making it better. And hey, anything that helps reduce strain on the electrical system is a win in my book. I checked out the link, and man, that outdoor led display screen looks slick! It's cool to see how LED tech is evolving beyond just household bulbs. Wonder if there are any cool applications for that in automotive lighting?

Last edited:
Back