Factory A/C rebuild in a '66

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
If I were to purchase a '66 Chrysler with factory A/C, and if I was to completely rebuild the system, is there any problems with acquiring the parts need to do this job?

"Cool" site thanks, still in the preliminary stages, but looks to be a nice solid car from the pictures and it will be good to have some negotiation figures for repairs.

There is a guy in Harrowsmith Ontario called Mr HeaterBox who can entirely rebuild/restore the under dash stuff - new vacuum actuators, repaired and/or new evaporater and heater core and all new materials etc.

MrHeaterbox

Your under hood lines, both rubber and metal can be custom made/bent using your old ones as patterns. VintageAir is just one of many who offer that service.

Vintage Air - Inventors of Performance Air Conditioning - www.vintageair.com

Condensers are available new either reproduction or improved design. eBay.

Compressors are available rebuilt (your car should have a 3 hole mount compressor not a 2 hole, but the two hole will bolt up OK) and the receiver/dryer and expansion valves etc are all still available new. Sanden compressor conversion kits are availble too. Rock Auto ir eBay.

Your Ranco water valve that bolts to the firewall can be still found new (pricey), or there are Ranco valve repair/rebuild kits available through AC shops etc.

The dash push button swich is available NOS or can be rebuilt - I don't remember who dies that service but others here can provide that info.

Great information guys, thanks. I always like to know what I might be getting into. Here is a little tease of what I am looking at. Any comments of the order of things with the A/C?

engine bay.JPG

Last edited:
If that's a pic of the actual car you're considering, things look generally excellent.

I do have a few questions and things to respectfully point out, all of which are really minor and will not affect the vehicle or the AC's performance:

Observations - these are not meant to denigrate what looks like a well sorted and well cared for car - just so you know in case you were not aware:

1) The air cleaner housing is not year correct for 1966. I see it has the the CAP return to the valve cover.

2) The heater hose bracket that bolts to the alternator is missing - it's 65-66 AC specific and hard to find but not impossible.

3) the heater hose retainer strap is missing from the passenger side valve cover (hmmm...I think I see zip tie there instead), and I'm not sure if all is kosher there with the AC line strap tie either... not a big deal, all those straps are available new.

4) I see evidence of 67 and up HP manifolds... (this kinda leads me to think that this is a picture of a 67 or 68 engine bay, or someone has installed them in an effort to gain some horse power)

5) Brake booster is not entirely correct, again, may simply be a generic replacement or vendor supply difference from what I'm use to seeing...

6) I see a modern voltage regulator, so the charging system is probably updated a bit...

Question:

What is the assembly bolted to the driver side inner fender? Is it a vacuum pump? From what I can see it sources vacuum directly from the intake manifold port (with what looks like a small muffler/reservoir/check valve), and goes to what looks like the pump (which is in a big cad plated canister), with what looks like a black gas regulator diaphragm, and the vacuum line returns to the brake booster from that.

Am I correct? If so, perhaps this car is over-cammed and that could be a well thought out solution to allow power brakes to function properly. This goes along with the HP manifolds...

Interested to hear your response.

If that's a pic of the actual car you're considering, things look generally excellent.

I do have a few questions and things to respectfully point out, all of which are really minor and will not affect the vehicle or the AC's performance:

Observations - these are not meant to denigrate what looks like a well sorted and well cared for car - just so you know in case you were not aware:

1) The air cleaner housing is not year correct for 1966. I see it has the the CAP return to the valve cover.

2) The heater hose bracket that bolts to the alternator is missing - it's 65-66 AC specific and hard to find but not impossible.

3) the heater hose retainer strap is missing from the passenger side valve cover (hmmm...I think I see zip tie there instead), and I'm not sure if all is kosher there with the AC line strap tie either... not a big deal, all those straps are available new.

4) I see evidence of 67 and up HP manifolds... (this kinda leads me to think that this is a picture of a 67 or 68 engine bay, or someone has installed them in an effort to gain some horse power)

5) Brake booster is not entirely correct, again, may simply be a generic replacement or vendor supply difference from what I'm use to seeing...

6) I see a modern voltage regulator, so the charging system is probably updated a bit...

Question:

What is the assembly bolted to the driver side inner fender? Is it a vacuum pump? From what I can see it sources vacuum directly from the intake manifold port (with what looks like a small muffler/reservoir/check valve), and goes to what looks like the pump (which is in a big cad plated canister), with what looks like a black gas regulator diaphragm, and the vacuum line returns to the brake booster from that.

Am I correct? If so, perhaps this car is over-cammed and that could be a well thought out solution to allow power brakes to function properly. This goes along with the HP manifolds...

Interested to hear your response.
Perfect response I was looking for. I was a little confused on the canister. Now I ask an intelligent questions about the car.

I do know it has HP cam, intake, carb, so that would explain some things. Not likely a factory HP setup

Last edited:
HP specific stuff started in '67, which as you say explains what I'm seening. In '66 the high performance 440 was known as 440 TNT. That car could still well have been a 440 TNT setup originally, which would have been nice to start on with the HP stuff.

You dawg! Are you buying a "parts car?"
Only if it is like your "parts car". It is in storage going to take a look and listen to the car on Saturday.

A little tease, although I am kinda letting the cat out of the bag.

IMG_20170313_115732.jpg

Back