Factory exhaust dimensions on '67 Newport base w/383

OneEyed

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the muffler on my car with something better than the old stock muffler. I put on a 4 barrel last fall but I just don't have the $800 to have duals put on right now so I thought I could swap out the single muffler to get it flowing a little bit better.

Whats the pipe size? Any recommendations on brands?

Pretty much ANYTHING would be better than the stock muffler... I would go to the local parts store and grab an inexpensive low back pressure cherry bomb style muffler - good classic tone and the local shop can use reducers/expander sleeves to match the input and outlet. It's not a big deal for those guys. They probably even have one like it in stock - or better yet, ask them to just put a nice resonator on in place of the muffler, like this:

http://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/resonator/walker-exhaust-resonator/285406_0_0

Jeg's has a decent selection of cheap cherry bombs - Cherry Bomb 87510CB: Glasspack Muffler 2.25" Straight Inlet/Outlet | JEGS

Pretty much ANYTHING would be better than the stock muffler... I would go to the local parts store and grab an inexpensive low back pressure cherry bomb style muffler - good classic tone and the local shop can use reducers/expander sleeves to match the input and outlet. It's not a big deal for those guys. They probably even have one like it in stock - or better yet, ask them to just put a nice resonator on in place of the muffler, like this:

http://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/resonator/walker-exhaust-resonator/285406_0_0

Jeg's has a decent selection of cheap cherry bombs - Cherry Bomb 87510CB: Glasspack Muffler 2.25" Straight Inlet/Outlet | JEGS

Thanks! That was kind of my plan. Just wanted to figure out what the pipe size is so I dont have to use reducers or anything. I figure I should be able to get under there and hopefully do it myself.

I think the inlet is 2" and the outlet is 1 & 7/8ths for single systems... but who knows?

Your car is unlikely to have the original pipes on it at this stage so it's a matter of measure twice buy once!

For what it's worth, some like the sound of glass packs, others don't.

I grew up on the wonderful sound of Walker Continentals. As I am in the process of restoring my car I scored two NOS sets of them - I'll be livin' the memory again and will have an extra set on the shelf as backups.

The Blue Swinger ... The Walker Continental! | Print Ads | hobbyDB

I've read that the Dynomax turbo is good on mopars. I got the old muffler off, no problem. The old muffler is offset so will a straight through resonator or glass pack need some sort of elbow? Looks like mine was 2" and 1-7/8

Looks like a might be able to get a cherry bomb to bolt up. Dynomax might need some reducers.

Got lucky and found a Dynomax Turbo at the local parts store, might have to make another trip to get the right reducers. I'll hopefully get around to installing it tomorrow, will update then!

There used to be a Walker Exhaust general catalog online, in addition to the DynoMax catalot, which is similar. Pipes, configurations illustrations, clamp sizes, AND the spec section in the rear will generally answer any questions you might have on case sizes, pipe sizes/offsets, etc.

My '67 Newport came with the 383-4bb, AND the factory single exhaust. An unusual situation as the similar Plymouth and Dodges had dual exhaust from the factory. All rated at 325 horsepower! Using the stock y-pipe, I adapted the Imperial 2.5" muffler and middle pipe to the y-pipe's ball joint end. These were 1974(?) Imperial parts. I used the rear pipe w/o the resonator, but had to get it bent upward to exit closer to the rear bumper, as stock, but that was the ONLY real thing I had to get done, that I couldn't do myself. Everything fit "as designed", with stock hangers.

That Imperial muffler is the normal C-body size of case, but with the 2.5" pipe inlet and outlet sizes AND the same low restriction of the Street HEMI muffler. Still stock quiet. I believe the stock pipe sizes are 2.25" inlet and 2.0" outlet, or 2.25" for both?

I like factory-configured exhaust system parts I can do in my driveway rather than the welded systems which muffler shops like. Over the years, the quality of muffler shops has been known to be very variable, by observation. Which is one reason I like the Walker brand (which NAPA sells under the Walker part numbers) as they fit perfectly. Factory-style clamps and hangers are listed, too, which is another plus, to me.

CBODY67

The muffler went on pretty easy after three trips to get the right adapter. Cut the old one off with a Sawzall, then used a dremel to remove what was left on the tail section and input side. So no modification was made to the existing exhaust at all. Muffler matched up on the input side and I used a reducer on the output side. So other than the fact I needed an extra clamp, it went really well.

The muffler fit up just the same other than being about 6 inches shorter in length.

Sound is just a bit louder, but not much.

Back