Factory or period lead type?

Exterior, Paint & Bodywork

1. 3C's & a D?

3C's & a D? Senior Member

Does anybody know what alloy of lead the factory used? Period correct (1970), auto body use type would be appreciated also. I am pretty much limited to pure lead or 50/50 lead/tin. The latter of which I would prefer to use. I am cleaning up the dutchmans panel on my 1970 Newport convertible which was leaded (hastily) at the factory, then bondoed. I just want whatever I put on to get along with whatever they put on. I am also wondering if flux was used? WP_20170806_19_22_55_Pro.jpg

2. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

Eastwood has 30/70 body lead. Body Soldering Sticks 10 pack

Yes, it would be tinned at the factory.

Leading is an art... Not easily learned. I tried doing it once a long time ago and it's a matter of doing a lot of it before you can get good at it. I never did.

I'm not a body man, and someone else can chime in here, but I think you'll find that modern materials will do a better job.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 3C's & a D?

Thanks Big_John, I didn't know they offered that. I am not expecting a perfect "no bondo" finish. Simply looking to seal the base with real metal, then a skim of "all metal", followed by bondo. This could have been avoided had the factory guy been more liberal in the application of lead, in the photo I posted you can make our the "T" intersection where the dutchman meets the quarter and trunk rail. This is where moisture was able to compromise the talc in the bondo. I am trying to avoid that in another 47 years.

4. 300rag

300rag It's Not Going to Shift Itself FCBO Gold Member

:rofl:

5. 3C's & a D?

I'm being cereal! Come on! I'm "only" 36, so mathematically it is possible. Winking smiley face.

6. 65sporty

65sporty Old Man with a Hat

Yes you need flux or tinning fluid. Sand blasting the area first helps also. I have never done lead work in the area you want to do it but have soldered a few gas tanks and it take some patience. Like Big_John said it's a art one I haven't mastered yet

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1