Fair Play or Cold of me

JPMODL

Reaction score
I am contemplating installing a 440 and 4 speed from a roadrunner into one of my C Bodies. Seems fair since they have been butchering our cars for our motors for decades...
And it will just be fun.

So... Since you didn't say 440 6bbl engine, the only 440 4bbl engine with a 4 speed would have to be from a '72 Roadrunner. Before that, the 440 4bbl engine wasn't available and after that, the 440 was only available with an automatic trans.

Anything else would be some engine/trans combo that wasn't original to the car.

Seems like there was a 440 4-speed option in the '70 Chargers?

Would anything "be gained" if the 4-speed was being sold to make way for a 5-speed?

Oh, I don't know now. I just looked at your garage and I'd have some issues messing with the two you posted. If you have another that's a little less gorgeous then maybe, but those are sweet.

20171019_162530.jpg

It would go in the wagon.

Also, the engine and transmission are from a 70 as it came from the factory.

So... Since you didn't say 440 6bbl engine, the only 440 4bbl engine with a 4 speed would have to be from a '72 Roadrunner. Before that, the 440 4bbl engine wasn't available and after that, the 440 was only available with an automatic trans.

Anything else would be some engine/trans combo that wasn't original to the car.

I'm not sure that is accurate John .

It would go in the wagon.

Also, the engine and transmission are from a 70 as it came from the factory.
That would be a 6bbl engine then. Heavy rods and externally balanced. Not my first choice for an engine.

It's not like whatever you build couldn't be reversed by the next caretaker.
In most cases I prefer when someone works with stock parts to create something that the factory could have offered.
As long as you're not butchering them up and sending them to the scrapper, have fun.

Then tell me exactly which Roadrunner previous to '72 had a 440 4bbl. Roadrunners... Not GTX or Superbirds or anything else.

I couldn't factually . Knowing you are sharp on Bs I stepped in unarmed .
The 69 and 70 wasn't available with a 44o stick? I know the 440 wasn't in 68 as only the 383 and 426 were the only engines available.

As I recall, the Superbird WAS a Road Runner model. It did have a 440/375 as standard equipment, probably with a 4-speed standard, too. Any 3-speed manual Superbirds?

70 Birds were standard with 440/4, then 440/6, then hemi. This is standard 440/4 w/4 speed.

Back