Federal power steering pump rebuild kit?

swisherred

Reaction score
Im looking to replace the seals in my federal power steering pump before I put it back in. They leaked. My problem is I cannot figure out which kit is correct for me. Rock auto has several...some say saginaw...which I dont need, but several dont say anything but chrysler....no clue which one is correct. anyone? I already have it apart and cleaned and painted....just waiting for the seals.

Ive seen on other boards that one of these will work...???

https://www.amazon.com/Gates-348710-Power-Steering-Shaft/dp/B000C2UEN4
https://www.amazon.com/Gates-351170-Power-Steering-Pump/dp/B000C2Y7QE

sunsong...

8401036__ra_p.jpg

The NAPA part fits my 66 that has a Federal pump.

Reviving this thread as the Federal power steering pump on Ming, my 1973 NYB, needs a seal kit -- see this post by @71Polara383

I see a number of listings at RockAuto, including the Gates 351170 (a brand that I like and for which I see a good review here):

More Information for GATES 351170

--> Has anyone used the Gates 351170 on a fusie 440?

--> Alternatively, has anyone used this kit from Roseville Moparts? Power Steering Pump Seal Kit Federal or Chrysler 69-75 | Roseville Moparts

I also see kits on eBay from sellers with high ratings, but no reviews of the kits:

For MOPAR- Power Steering Pump Kit Federal Plymo Dodge 340 440 426Hemi | eBay

NEW FEDERAL POWER STEERING PUMP SEAL KIT. MOPAR,TRUCK,HEMI,CUDA,charger, 383/440 | eBay

@saforwardlook @Big_John @Gerald Morris @CBODY67

Reviving this thread as the Federal power steering pump on Ming, my 1973 NYB, needs a seal kit -- see this post by @71Polara383

I see a number of listings at RockAuto, including the Gates 351170 (a brand that I like and for which I see a good review here):

--> Alternatively, has anyone used this kit from Roseville Moparts? Power Steering Pump Seal Kit Federal or Chrysler 69-75 | Roseville Moparts

I also see kits on eBay from sellers with high ratings, but no reviews of the kits:

NEW FEDERAL POWER STEERING PUMP SEAL KIT. MOPAR,TRUCK,HEMI,CUDA,charger, 383/440 | eBay

To give you an alternative, I sent a pump to these guys and I was pretty happy with the service. Powersteering.com

They seem to be very "restoration friendly" with providing a detail service option with rebuilding.

IDK about a FEDERAL kit, but the TRW kit I got off Rock Auto did nicely for the old pump I resealed, and now am using. Having a pair of these big old TRW pumps now, I reckon I'll never bother w the Saginaw rig I got w that 400. I like the TRW pumps just fine, complete w the self-tensioning bracket they made for them. (Now have 3-4 of THOSE....) I suppose if a nice new Federal pump w accoutrements was to materialize in my shed, I would possibly use it, but I won't spend anything on one otherwise.

Again, the kit I got proved good, surprisingly enough.

To give you an alternative, I sent a pump to these guys and I was pretty happy with the service. Powersteering.com

They seem to be very "restoration friendly" with providing a detail service option with rebuilding.
Looks like a good alternative to Lares, if they're taking too long. These pumps are pretty simple. I saw that in some ways, the Federal was like a backward version of the Thompson. Neither of these are too complicated. If I had a somewhat later model C body, I suspect the Federal would interest me more. I actually have 3 TRWs, two big ones, and one small one, which was used to steer Mathilda for 4 years or so before I got the 1959 TRW of the correct size for her. I looked over the little A/B body pump and it should clean up easily enough too, if I had immediate call for it.

Back