Federal/TRW sawp to Saginaw PS Pump

scooter3

Reaction score
So I have had numerous issues with my TRW style power steering pump. Its a rebuilt unit by Lares and I have had to send it back once because the pressure bypass hung and now after reinstall its worked about 200 miles and stopped working again.

Therefore, since the Federal/TRW style pump is about a hard to find as the Holy Grail, how hard is it to swap the pump to the Saginaw style pump which I can find just about anywhere.

I understand the brackets are different I've heard the bracket from the TRW can be modified to work but I'm not 100% confident with that information.

Also, what about the pulley size difference and the pressure? Obviously a different belt will be required.

Anyone have any experience with doing this that can lend me some knowledge.

I have a perfect federal pump I removed only because I went with the march serptine belts and there isn't a pulley for the federal. Let me know if you are interested in the pump. Just needs a paint job.

How much do you want for it and how quick can you get it to me. I'm about to take a trip with the car and sure could use it.

If you haven't PM'd him then do so and he will get an email notification since you are in a hurry.

I would include my phone and email address in said PM to expedite matters

68Bigred bailed me out on this one. World class feller right there folks.

Thanks for the kind words. Hope it works out for you. I painted it but smeared it putting into the box may have to touch it back up. I ran out of paint :(

Posting this in the forum in case someone wants to chime in. I was thinking if you are blowing up pumps may want to check your high pressure line make sure it didn't collapse internally. At work I had a machine acting up and on a hunch pulled a hydraulic line off that looked perfect but it broke internally and was obstructing flow. Was a real odd ball to catch, my over paid engineers didn't even catch it.

Back