fender skirt removal

bollotti

Reaction score
I have looked in manual and it says that there is a wing nut at the back of the skirt which allows removal. This is misding. I have an allen bolt, which i have lossened, but skirt still tight. Which way does the skirt come off. Tire will not clear skirt (glad this didnt happen at the side of road)

IMAG1295.jpg

IMAG1296.jpg

I don’t think your skirts comes off with a wing nut like my 75 and 77 New Yorker. I think the bar is tension loaded.. see if there is a piece of that tension bar that leads in a groove in the skirt. go to the very end of it and lift up and pull in towards the wheel and pull down.. I might be wrong, but I recall my 65 New Yorker having a set up like that. Then “Alan bolt” is merely a pivot point for the tension bar.

No spring-loaded handle that is moved out of its holder to work the retaining linkage, like on the slabs? Along the bottom of the skirt? Just curious.

CBODy67

Got it thanks. My other fender was held on with a bolt, so once i could see how that worked, i was able to remove the other side. The operating manual is not very clear on this.

IMAG1299.jpg

I took this photo of eBay - it should help if they are really 72-73 Fury skirts. Lift up on the U-shaped handle, pull it out and down to release the clamp at the top then sometimes you have to pull hard and wiggle to get them off.
s-l1600.jpg

If yours are like these 70 - 71 Fury skirts there should be a wingnut screw at the back where the metal bracket with a hole is as seen in the photo below. Perhaps yours was lost and replaced with a different type of fastener.
Generally these are the 2 types of skirt mounts set ups used from 65 - 73. If the type below, remove the rear fastener and then pull down and toward the back of the car. Again, some force and wiggling may be required as the quality control on the fitment of the pins and corresponding holes was not always great. Sometimes idiot shops bolted or screwed them on after breaking the release mechanisms. Good Luck!

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks mine are the first picture. Managed to get off, but not very intuitive. Now that they are off, I like the look, being able to see more if the wheel. Will try and find some chrome for the rear arches.

Thanks mine are the first picture. Managed to get off, but not very intuitive. Now that they are off, I like the look, being able to see more if the wheel. Will try and find some chrome for the rear arches.

Are you looking to get rid of the skirts and put on wheel opening moldings? If yes, I think I have an NOS pair. $150/pair + shipping.
Bill

Are you looking to get rid of the skirts and put on wheel opening moldings? If yes, I think I have an NOS pair. $150/pair + shipping.
Bill
Yes, pm me a picture. I have a set of rallye wheels, and I think the fender skirts are going to make fitting an issue.

I just checked. I have 2 right rears and 1 right front. No left rear. Interested in the 1 rear and/or the front?

I would only need rears. Let me see if I can find a left one and will come back to you. Thanks

Back