fender t\s lights

moparpaw

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to change a bulb in the turn signal indicator mounted on the fenders of a 68 c-body??

On your 68 they should just be held in by pressure. Reach under the fender, grab the lower part of the bulb holder and gently pull straight down. The bulb holder should come out with the bulb in it. I have never changed a 68, so you may have to turn it 1/4 turn also. Not that hard to work out once you start fiddling with it from underneath.

Bryan is dead on.
It's either Wiggle-it-out" lamp socket....

85860-007.jpg

or a "Turn & pull" socket:

85898-007.jpg

Just a reminder to put a little grease on the the metal end of the bulb on the first wiggle it out example....you'll be glad that you did years down the road.

Sorry, paw.... I was thinking side marker lights.
Are you talking about fender top turn signal lamps?

The whole T.S. lamp assy. has to be removed from the fender.
Either from top if a screw is seen or from the bottom but removing the nut(s) from the prong.
Then the lamp socket assy. is pulled out of the housing and you replace the bulb.

30uelup.jpg

2cyfh93.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!pgE-vtFZev8BPy4LnSQnw~~60_57.JPG

Mopar_FenderLights_LongThin.JPG

70s_MOPAR_FenderTopMarker_LensandChrome.jpg

Last edited:
Stan, mine has only one wire....30 years as a mopar wrench never saw anything like this.....

I've not seen a two wire socket either. The fender lights on my 69 have only one wire. To replace a bulb the top fender trim must carefully be slid back, or removed, to access a screw that retains the light/bezel assy to the fender. Once removed there is a small flat head screw on the underside that retains the lense-socket and bulb. The bilb size should be listed in your owners manual. LED replacements are avaliable but I didn't much care for them, to dim, so I used OEM style bulbs.

A few drops of PB blaster will help the procedure a bit.

Last edited:
I've seen them before Stan.again not like mine....they remove with a nut from underneath but they are only about 1\2" around and press together..I had a spare and was able to pull the two pieces apart...I could see the bulb down in there but it wouldn't budge...????

These "how many jokes" also exist in English. Didn't know that.LOL
Sorry,I'm of no help got only one of these and that's parked 15 miles away at the moment.

For some reason the 68 Fender mounted turn signal indicators, be it A/B/C body were notoriously difficult to change out the bulbs. I know when I restored my 68 Coronet convertible I could not find good, working light bulb assemblies. So I used a set from the 72 and later Mopars....had to make a custom braket to hold the bulb in place under the stock chrome shell...but it turned out OK. And unless uyou looke dup under the fender you would never know it wasn't stock.'

As for replacing yours Phil I don't honestly know. They were a poor design, and the bulbs usually fused to the housings, if I remeber correctly.

For some reason the 68 Fender mounted turn signal indicators, be it A/B/C body were notoriously difficult to change out the bulbs. I know when I restored my 68 Coronet convertible I could not find good, working light bulb assemblies. So I used a set from the 72 and later Mopars....had to make a custom braket to hold the bulb in place under the stock chrome shell...but it turned out OK. And unless uyou looke dup under the fender you would never know it wasn't stock.'

As for replacing yours Phil I don't honestly know. They were a poor design, and the bulbs usually fused to the housings, if I remeber correctly.
thats what it looks like Brian i can take it apart but the bulb is sunk inside of this socket and you can't get your fingers on it ...maybe if i broke it i could use a pencil to get it out....but how do you get a new one in????

On my 65 they simply pull out of the socket from underneath like I described. View attachment 7003View attachment 7004View attachment 7005
Thanks Bryan but mines not like that I only have one wire.....and it don't just pull out...If you look at the one Stan sent pictures of it looks like the second from the bottom picture and you can see where it comes apart...the left one looks like someone has been trying to get it open......

Back