Fender tag decode

thethee

Reaction score
Hi all,

While waiting for some parts I would like to find out more about my '75 Imperial. Specifically, if the fender tag mentions anything about the brakes because mine is fitted with drum brakes in the rear. Pretty sure these came with disc brakes all around but the drums look the same age as the rest.
I find it hard to believe a PO would switch the discs for drums on a 5000+ lbs car

20210222_155212.jpg

1975 (Chrysler) Imperial Home Page

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1975 Chrysler Dealership Data Book - Imperial

Should be 4 wheel discs from what I can tell. There are others know here that no much more about Imperials.

Bottom row -
E85 - 440-cid V8, 4-bbl carb
D34 - Automatic transmission - Torqueflite
VIN - YM23 T5C 143761
Y - Car Line - Imperial
M - Series - LeBaron
23 - 2dr Hardtop
T - Engine - 440-cid V8, 1-4bbl carb
5 - Model Year - 1975
C - Assembly plant - East Jefferson Avenue
143761 - Serial Number - Starting at 100000
Second row -
TX9 - Body Colour - Formal Black
PLX9 - Interior trim -
P - Premium
L - Leather & Vinyl, recline
X9 - Black
000 - Interior Colour -
C07 R03278 - SPD Dec 07? Not sure what the R in the serial number represents.
Third row -
V1X - Roof treatment - Vinyl Roof - Black
H53 - Air Conditioning with automatic temperature control
R37 - AM/FM Radio - multiplex stereo, 8-track
L35 - Cornering lamps

Fourth row -
M45 - Rear wheel opening skirts
P31 - Power windows
P41 - Power door locks
N88 - Automatic speed control
G63 - Mirror - outside, passenger side, remote, chrome
Fifth row -
K78 - Body side stripe, tape 8 - Black
P51 - Automatic park brake release

Much appreciated, thanks.
Figured the drums aren't original but have no intention to replace with discs since these are working fine.

Weren’t these rear disc setups far less than perfect? Maybe they were switched to drums to keep it on the road?

I've never heard those rear discs didn't work well, just that the parts are near impossible to find now. That "special handling car" tag is interesting, that's usually on police cars.

As by that point in time, the New Yorkers were power front disc/rear drum brake cars, I suspect that a simple swap of the complete rear axle assy would do the trick? The first dual-stage 4-wheel Anti-Lock Brake System was an inexpensive option on those Imperials, too, as I recall. With low installation rates. The Imperials had the 4 whl power disc system as their exclusive item, with the New Yorkers having the more normal (for the time) power frt discs/rear drum brake systems.

Later rear disc systems were not as seemingly (advanced) complicated and less expensive (read more like Ford and GM used) to produce, by observation. As more private shops generally saw more GM and Ford vehicles, especially GM, that;s what they were more used to seeing, so anything else was "not liked". Finding a good Chrysler tech at a private shop could be important in the owner continuing to buy Chrysler products, by observation. PLUS a good Chrysler dealership service department for warranty work and such!

This also tended to be a time when many private shops scorned the Chrysler "advanced engineering items" as things they were not used to seeing (as they mostly saw GM vehicles in their shops) and something to make their customers have to return to the dealer to get fixed. What these shop owners usually didn't realize was that they could (as with GM via ACDelco or Ford with Motorcraft) up their game and learn about the systems via the aftermarket vendors so they could do the non-warranty repairs themselves. The first thing to do that was the first electronic ignitions that became standard in the earlier 1970s . . . and it didn't stop there.

Just some observations,
CBODY67

Another exciting episode of "Today I Learned"
Weren’t these rear disc setups far less than perfect? Maybe they were switched to drums to keep it on the road?
As by that point in time, the New Yorkers were power front disc/rear drum brake cars, I suspect that a simple swap of the complete rear axle assy would do the trick? The first dual-stage 4-wheel Anti-Lock Brake System was an inexpensive option on those Imperials, too, as I recall. With low installation rates. The Imperials had the 4 whl power disc system as their exclusive item, with the New Yorkers having the more normal (for the time) power frt discs/rear drum brake systems.

Interesting, maybe someone in the past swapped out the axle assy for the drum brakes, but we'll probably never know. Unless the diff is also stamped with a sequence number or something but I'm guessing the Imperial and New Yorker had the same ones with maybe just a date code?

Specifically, if the fender tag mentions anything about the brakes because mine is fitted with drum brakes in the rear.

No. There won't be anything coded regarding brakes on the tag.

Finding a broadcast sheet will give us insight into the R VON.

Last edited:
Need to find the build sheet! There might be a hand-written note on it about "Special Handling"? AND which brake system it was produced with.

I kind of suspect that "Special Handling" might have several different layers to it. One might be the law enforcement vehicle (and possibly it's related "Special Mask" specific paint scheme, two-tone, etc. for the particular entity), another might be a non-approved color/trim combination, or even a sold order vehicle for a corporate employee. Or a vehicle which had to go "off-site" for some sort of equipment alterations from factory production equipment (as in "wing car" Dodge Daytonas?) related to the particular model of vehicle and such. NONE of these might be indicated on the data plate, unfortunately, but might be noted on the build sheet, I believe.

For example, an un-verified story a friend of mine told me was that in the later 1980s, a main Chrysler off-road racing operative ordered a FMJ New Yorker. It came down the line with white-letter Eagle GT tires (for the upgraded suspension option), the normal wire wheel covers (standard on that model), and the person's name written on the windshield (as a "special corporate person"). "Special Handling" possibly?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Under the rear seats seem to be the most usual location, although there are others in the seats, too. Stuffed under the springs, which can cause some issues with extraction in one piece. Possibly a hi-res picture might be an option?

That "special handling car" tag is interesting, that's usually on police cars.

SPECIAL HANDLING tags are found on police cars but can be found on other applications too. Cars destined as promo, show or one time special purpose (think parade, sweepstakes, event sponsor transport) can have them.

I think decoding the R VON will tell us why the car has the Special Handling tag.

What are the usual places for the build sheet? Under the front seats?

The most common place is in the front seat bottom or seat back or under the springs in the back seat or the rear upright seat. Finding the sheet will help us answer the question about brakes.

Some plants will leave them taped to back of the dash.
Under carpet.
Above headliners.

The most unusual place I've ever seen a broadcast is one shoved into the buddy seat.
IMG_0350.JPG

I knew about the 4 wheel discs, but not an ABS option, interesting. From what I recall, the 74-75 Imperials and 4 wheel disc had the 8 3/4 axle. Could the car in question, (Special Handling), have been fitted with the larger 9 1/4 for some reason?

Long ago, 10-15 years or so, I saw an add on Ebay for a 74 Imperial two door and it had the special handling tag, it was in the Northwest somewhere as I recall. The add claimed it was ordered and owned by Frank Sinatra. Anyone on this ever heard of it?

special handling means it was ordered. nothing to do with the steering, suspension or brakes

I knew about the 4 wheel discs, but not an ABS option, interesting. From what I recall, the 74-75 Imperials and 4 wheel disc had the 8 3/4 axle. Could the car in question, (Special Handling), have been fitted with the larger 9 1/4 for some reason?
all chryslers and imperials in 74 had the 9 1/4 axle
S13 was the code for the optional heavy duty suspension
Sure-Brake was the optional anti skid control in 73

Sorry, I screwed up the VIN Decode somehow. I had YM23 but it's YM43. I'd love to see some pics. I'm guessing this was a promotional car, a triple black Imperial, you don't get any classier then that IMO.

R VON means it was a Public Relations car. Special Handling meant the car was build with special care, only put the best pieces on this car.

Back