Fender tag

Stephen Richins

Reaction score
I used to have the books on decoding the mopar fender build tags but I cant find them & the stuff I find online doesn't seem to work very good for a 68 can anyone help me with this

20210502_152640.jpg

everything on there makes sense with the exception of two options which are
R4 you had R1 on the decoder and the interior color as far as I know the car is mostly un molested it has black interior & the Antique Gold & black seats. So if someone has changed the interior color they did a very good job as everything in the interior looks to me to be factory

everything on there makes sense with the exception of two options which are
R4 you had R1 on the decoder and the interior color as far as I know the car is mostly un molested it has black interior & the Antique Gold & black seats. So if someone has changed the interior color they did a very good job as everything in the interior looks to me to be factory

Sorry, I had a hard time guessing on what values were in which location due to the rust and blemishes on the tag.

Most of the decoders are close but not accurate for C-bodies let alone an Imperial. Need to find an interior dealer book to see the different stock seat selections

Sorry, I had a hard time guessing on what values were in which location due to the rust and blemishes on the tag.
you typed everything correctly expect the R4 code which I believe is for the radio but the one that really confuses me is the interior color as you typed everything else correct as far as I can tell. Is the M9L code the interior color?

Last edited:
I think the interior code is M9E. I don’t see a M9L in the interior codes for 68 Imperial.
Leather.
Here is the parts book description. There is a black has different color inserts, M9E is gold and black leather.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I think the interior code is M9E. I don’t see a M9L in the interior codes for 68 Imperial.
Leather.
Here is the parts book description. There is a black has different color inserts, M9E is gold and black leather.
View attachment 457496 View attachment 457497
I may be M9E I'll have to look at it closer when I get home in the pic it looks like M9L but the pic of the tag isn't very good

If you zoom into the vertical picture I think I see the middle leg of the E. In the manual there is no L option.

Leather.
View attachment 457496 View attachment 457497
it definitely has M9E interior installed I'll double check the tag when I can see it in person does anyone know what R4 option is when I put it in the decoder it says unknown option

R4 is am search tune with the button on the floor to switch from signal to signal.

Kate Triplett's 1968 Imperial "Lucille"
Here is a link to the car these photos are from 2004 or possibly earlier it isn't in quite as good as shape as the pics but it is still in pretty good shape considering its age. I believe I am the 4th owner I bought it in 2008 or 2009 cant remember for sure. I drove it for a few years then parked it in my barn for about 10 years. So I decided that I need to get it running & enjoy it or sell it to a good home. Well now that I have it running I don't think I can part with it so yeah guess I have a project on my hands

Back