Finally a 70’ Fury Owner

Yeahrightgreer

Reaction score
This is my write up on a 1970 Plymouth Fury III Convertible I just picked up last night. Drove it home 350 miles through the mountains of NC with only 2 break downs.

While I was deployed a few months ago I found on Facebook marketplace the owners daughter listing the car. I immediately screenshot and decided to wait till I was a bit closer to coming home to call. I waited till about a week before coming home and I called inquiring about the car. It’s a 318, sold new at Westland Chrysler in Ohio. The man got the car after his uncle passed and drove it down 500 miles from Ohio to Asheville NC to where I picked it up. He had been planning on working on it but he is currently too ill to work on the car anymore. It’s a pretty low optioned car except for the bucket seats but hey that means less problems to fix. I didn’t have the money yet and I usually never inquire unless I have cash in hand but I’ve been looking for a 70’ Fury 2 Door for about a year now so I jumped to learn about it. I told him I would sell my truck and as soon as I got the money I’d be calling back.

I come home from deployment and within the week I sell my 59 F350 “Bethany”. A worker that one was. I immediately call and let him know id like to come the weekend after next to come see the car, as the current weekend me and the other half planned to go to Atlanta.

11D75A34-394D-4253-AADA-78E593C9E3F6.jpeg

Well her and her infinite wisdom suggested why don’t we go to Atlanta, drive north to Asheville and drive the car back. At first I was wary of driving someone else’s car 5 hours without checking it but I called back and he gave me his word he would trust the car to go virtually anywhere. Well we go to Atlanta Georgia to see the aquarium and cut through South Carolina to see the mountains. A pretty vibrant city especially during Labor Day weekend. No traffic all down I-85 and I-20.

283DA170-9D48-4EAF-80B3-4BE36319B925.jpeg

After the visit, we drove Monday morning through in bumper to bumper traffic on I-26. Finally getting there - the car was parked outside ready. The owners were very straight forward and let me know of any problems beforehand. The carburetor was running very rough and gets bogged down when first starting but flies down the road at expressway speeds. It was pretty straight forward and we went for a test drive. I already knew I wanted the car.

7ED63FB2-4A77-4102-B1C4-70C4B346212C.jpeg

The 318 is smooth and as quiet as a hummingbird. Before coming I had a thought in my head of changing it to a 383-4 but I do love the better mileage and easy going nature of the small block. All the fluids upon my arrival were clean and fresh. I had no problems with overheating. I didn’t check the heat but the hoses are connected and am told it works. Will have to check if the heater core is busted. The front brake reservoir was a tad low but I topped it off. The transmission shifts gears fine and no slippage. The radio worked to my surprise which I thought was going to be a silent 5 hour drive. There’s a period installed wiper delay switch, an aftermarket radio, an antenna signal booster, and a AC Delco product by the parking brake that I can’t exactly tell. Maybe a brake controller?

86A51979-4049-48EC-A6E5-B0A550873B17.jpeg

AFBAC755-4569-403E-9A44-E0D32E7C965B.jpeg

CB810CAD-25E8-4513-9814-810B849B557A.jpeg

863EDE30-5126-44C2-8F5F-9A318E10ECEF.jpeg

Last edited:
Coming out of Asheville I stalled out at a stop light. It’s fired right back up but I had to gun it out of the intersection. I got the hang of it and realized. I couldn’t come to a complete stop so the goal was the get on an expressway and fly home. It drove fine through the mountains but I could tell the 318 had no pep in its step. At 88,000 miles it’s not exactly worn out but I could feel it coming. On the downhills I floated and the carb finally started to go back to normal. She was able to easily keep up in highway traffic. A little bit better than my New Yorker I’d say that has a 440 in it.

The drive was smooth, running fine with no issues and filled up once. It wasn’t until I reached the Durham area once the lights went down there was a car dead in the middle of the road and traffic was backed up for miles. I stopped, thinking the issue was solved and I stalled out. Frantically trying to crank the car in the middle lane of the highway - here I am thinking “I’m next”. It didn’t turn over, and I started to get worried, after about 3-4 cranks it turns over and fires up. I immediately start throttling the car while braking so it didn’t die again on me. We took the next exit and took the back roads all the way home about an 120 miles left. It drove back fine after that but still gives out when first starting off. I’ll have to give it a tune up, air cleaner is filthy so it’s not helping. Will mess with the choke and take the carb apart and clean it up. Also will check the fuel filter, pump and lines to make sure there’s no clog or back up anywhere.

The convertible top motor works fine, opens and closes pretty quickly. There’s a few rips in the top but does not leak. No rips or tears in any of the seats. All the lights and switches work. All panel lights, buzzers, knobs and buttons work. I do have the dash Fury emblem in the back seat. The interior is pretty nice but is very dull and dusty and will need a full detailing and gone through with a wire brush.

37B982D9-9B47-4F2E-8E20-43ADDAF3EB0B.jpeg

CE3B1CA7-3AA8-4BC6-80B8-763D77B33A1D.jpeg

It’s got a pretty nice hitch on it which I was told original owners used it to tow a sail boat. I’ll have to check if there’s a transmission cooler.

The first goal is to get the massive amount of leaves from the cowl and trunk. Before I drove back there was a mound in the back seat. The firewall looks somewhat okay but that’s from an outside inspection. The fenders are alright. Quarters have some rust and clear signs of filler crack on the wheel arches. There is also an amount of the panel behind the deck lid. The car has been repainted but to it’s original color. Bumpers do not have signs of deplating or rust coming through.

It did come with a stack of previous ownership paperwork and some other goodies so that’s always good to hear. The car looks fairly solid on the under side from what I saw was under coated for most of it’s life through Ohio. I’ll have to get the car up and go underneath it this coming up weekend. It’s not perfect but I’m very happy that I have a 70 cruiser.

509EAC3A-04D0-499C-8FB9-3B9CF6CDEE33.jpeg

7EEF8AD8-4813-499E-BB0D-C15E3B95ADCB.jpeg

6127C94E-6466-4F57-B7B8-A7DCB41528B7.jpeg

4E9E6F6D-6FA7-452D-A908-115AAE18AFC9.jpeg

C0769BD5-4D9C-4974-8DCF-D55033C2595A.jpeg

510FAE73-2B51-43A9-97BA-E5132C8D08B5.jpeg

7E8EFB1B-4269-4816-9C8C-9C92D8BCE1A0.jpeg

47AC1AEB-EDCA-47FD-A455-9877DF0BC515.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats man! What are your plans, total resto or drive while you spruce it up?

Great story and beautiful ride.....Fury's are becoming very interesting to me....could be because that's all I have been seeing lately..

The top and the glass rear window are two difference pieces, so you can fairly easily fix the flapping bits. The tear in the actual top is a bigger problem, I'd make a "patch" using some black Gorilla tape. That stuff sticks like crazy and being black it should blend well. The bondo cracks need some thought, proper repair will cost and before doing anything get someone with experience to look at it. All in all it looks like a good car that needs a carb job! Enjoy.

That is too cool, must have added to jack up the rear end when towing. I had rear air shocks on mine when I towed my trailer or boat. Mine wasn't so fancy, I had a thing in the trunk like a tire valve stem to air it up.

View attachment 210568

Air shock pressure. There is/was a small electric compressor somewhere in the car. That would dial up or down the pressure to the air shocks.

Thanks John. You always seem to know the answer! I did see a compressor but it would of never crossed my mind.

Congrats man! What are your plans, total resto or drive while you spruce it up?

Someday I’d love to do a restoration. Nothing concurs. The bondo is for sure going to be looked at. Sooner rather than later. Hopefully they killed the rust before putting more over it. As it is now - I’d like to drive it as much as I can and enjoy it!

Ah yes, another fury, almost time to start a Fury club. :lol:
I'm glad you bought it so I wouldn't be tempted, as you know i have too many now! Have you checked my S23 thread?

Coming out of Asheville I stalled out at a stop light. It’s fired right back up but I had to gun it out of the intersection. I got the hang of it and realized. I couldn’t come to a complete stop so the goal was the get on an expressway and fly home. It drove fine through the mountains but I could tell the 318 had no pep in its step. At 88,000 miles it’s not exactly worn out but I could feel it coming. On the downhills I floated and the carb finally started to go back to normal. She was able to easily keep up in highway traffic. A little bit better than my New Yorker I’d say that has a 440 in it.

The drive was smooth, running fine with no issues and filled up once. It wasn’t until I reached the Durham area once the lights went down there was a car dead in the middle of the road and traffic was backed up for miles. I stopped, thinking the issue was solved and I stalled out. Frantically trying to crank the car in the middle lane of the highway - here I am thinking “I’m next”. It didn’t turn over, and I started to get worried, after about 3-4 cranks it turns over and fires up. I immediately start throttling the car while braking so it didn’t die again on me. We took the next exit and took the back roads all the way home about an 120 miles left. It drove back fine after that but still gives out when first starting off. I’ll have to give it a tune up, air cleaner is filthy so it’s not helping. Will mess with the choke and take the carb apart and clean it up. Also will check the fuel filter, pump and lines to make sure there’s no clog or back up anywhere.

The convertible top motor works fine, opens and closes pretty quickly. There’s a few rips in the top but does not leak. No rips or tears in any of the seats. All the lights and switches work. All panel lights, buzzers, knobs and buttons work. I do have the dash Fury emblem in the back seat. The interior is pretty nice but is very dull and dusty and will need a full detailing and gone through with a wire brush.

View attachment 210555

View attachment 210556

It’s got a pretty nice hitch on it which I was told original owners used it to tow a sail boat. I’ll have to check if there’s a transmission cooler.

The first goal is to get the massive amount of leaves from the cowl and trunk. Before I drove back there was a mound in the back seat. The firewall looks somewhat okay but that’s from an outside inspection. The fenders are alright. Quarters have some rust and clear signs of filler crack on the wheel arches. There is also an amount of the panel behind the deck lid. The car has been repainted but to it’s original color. Bumpers do not have signs of deplating or rust coming through.

It did come with a stack of previous ownership paperwork and some other goodies so that’s always good to hear. The car looks fairly solid on the under side from what I saw was under coated for most of it’s life through Ohio. I’ll have to get the car up and go underneath it this coming up weekend. It’s not perfect but I’m fairly pleased that I have a 70 cruiser.

View attachment 210550

View attachment 210551

View attachment 210552

View attachment 210553

View attachment 210554

View attachment 210557

View attachment 210558

View attachment 210559

hey there congratulations ! mighty man to drive it through the mts. glad you made it safe.

Love the red !! Nice meeting you last week with Gary. Keep up informed on the Fury !

Dale

Ah yes, another fury, almost time to start a Fury club. :lol:
I'm glad you bought it so I wouldn't be tempted, as you know i have too many now! Have you checked my S23 thread?

Yes I have. Making some good progress there. Do you think you’ll keep it once it’s done or go on the market?

seems to be the case, at this even cooler link, it says ER6

1970 Plymouth Paint Codes

Yes. It’s pretty vibrant. Usually every Scorch Red car I’ve seen has a white interior/top. Don’t know if I’ll keep it the color or go to another Chry color like Y2 Sunfire Yellow, as every car I own at the moment is red. And I don’t even like red.

I have a 70’ 300 Grille that I contemplated putting In my NY’er but changed my mind. I may sell/trade it and look for a 70/71 Sport Fury Grille

Yes I have. Making some good progress there. Do you think you’ll keep it once it’s done or go on the market?

Yes. It’s pretty vibrant. Usually every Scorch Red car I’ve seen has a white interior/top. Don’t know if I’ll keep it the color or go to another Chry color like Y2 Sunfire Yellow, as every car I own at the moment is red. And I don’t even like red.

I have a 70’ 300 Grille that I contemplated putting In my NY’er but changed my mind. I may sell/trade it and look for a 70/71 Sport Fury Grille

wow, I love red ! looked for a 300 with white interior and TNT option, but didn't see much and/or wouldn't work out. My '69 GTX is Scorch Red with white interior and (early) non-headrest buckets--just prefer that look.

I will be keeping the 70, I'm pretty sure, it will be painted the color I want and interior will be the color I want too. I'm not a fan of green.

Back